Practice/Industry Group Overview
We advise both domestic and international clients on buying and selling residential real estate in the UK, Italy and the US and provide a range of services relating to the acquisition and holding of real estate assets. In addition, we manage acquisitions in other foreign jurisdictions and co-ordinate advice on tax-efficient structures for holding real estate, whether as an investment or as an additional home.
Many of our clients spend substantial sums on developing and renovating their real estate and we assist in the negotiation and appointment of designers, architects and other professionals, as well as guiding them through the complexities of obtaining the necessary permits. Where properties are to be let out (leased), we advise both landlords and tenants on issues surrounding short-term rental agreements.
Our global client base includes locally based purchasers buying family homes, city pied-à-terres and country cottages, clients with international property interests, residential developers of new homes or existing buildings and both individual and commercial investors building up residential real estate portfolios. Many wealthy or high profile clients are particularly concerned about privacy issues, and we ensure their anonymity is protected at all times.
- Acting on the acquisition of landmark residential real estate in the UK, Italy and New York, with values for single units of up to $100m.
- Advising the developer of a Knightsbridge apartment block on the acquisition, financing and sales. More than 200 units have been sold.
- Representing well-known international personalities buying and selling residential properties, where the preservation of their anonymity was a high priority.
- Working with leading London estate agents/brokers including Savills, Knight Frank, John D Wood, Strutt & Parker, Sothebys International Realty, Harrods Estates and many others on a wide range of transactions for both locally based and international clients.
- In 2007 we successfully closed the most expensive residential transaction in the United States to date and the second largest residential transaction in the entire world. The property, located in the prestigious east end of Long Island, was sold to a hedge fund manager for $20m over the asking price. The transaction included a property easement donation to the Nature Conservancy and relocation of historic buildings to the local municipality.