Yosbel A. Ibarra advises clients on complex business transactions in the U.S., Spain and across Latin America. Fluent in Spanish, he has wide-ranging experience in cross-border M&A, debt finance and project finance transactions, including public-private partnerships.
Areas of Concentration
· Mergers and acquisitions
· Cross-border financing transactions
· Project financing
· Private equity & venture capital
· Joint ventures
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, International Bar Association
· Member, American Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The M&A Advisor, "40 Under 40," 2013
· Team Member, Corporate Board Member magazine and FTI Consulting Inc., one of "America's Best Corporate Law Firms," 13th Annual Legal Industry Study, 2013
· Listed, Chambers USA Guide, 2008-2013
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Florida Super Lawyers, "Rising Star," 2009, 2013
· Team Member, "Corporate & Finance - Law Firm of the Year (Florida-Based)," Chambers Latin America Awards, 2010, 2011 and 2013
· Member, team ranked as a top corporate law firm in Miami as selected by corporate directors, in the annual "Legal Industry Research Study," Corporate Board Member magazine and FTI Consulting Inc. (10th year), 2002-2009, 2011-2012
· Listed, Chambers Global, Corporate & Finance Latin America, 2008-2011
· Listed, Chambers Latin America, Corporate M&A, 2009
· Team Member, "Focus on Latin America - Law Firm of the Year (Florida-Based)," Chambers Latin America Inaugural Awards for Excellence, 2009
· Recipient, Latin Lawyer magazine, "M&A Deal of the Year" Award, 2008
· Listed, The Times, "Future Stars of America," 2008
Mergers & Acquisitions
· Lead counsel to Grupo Phoenix Holdings, Ltd., a world leader in the supply of innovative rigid packaging solutions for consumer goods and products with operations in Colombia, Mexico, the U.S. and Venezuela, in its sale of a minority equity interest to One Equity Partners.
· Represented Pegasus Capital Advisors L.P., a US$2.7 billion fund, in a joint acquisition and recapitalization with management of a Peruvian company that specializes in liquid fuels storage, distribution, marketing, and biodiesel production in Peru.
· Represented Brightstar Corp., a global leader in solutions for the wireless industry, in its acquisition of eSecuritel, a leading provider of cell phone and wireless products insurance services.
· Represented Venezuelan-based Delcop Holding Company Limited in its acquisition of Xerox Corporation's distribution operations in Colombia.
· Represented Malher, a Central American-based manufacturer and distributor of culinary products and powdered beverages, in its sale of a majority participation to Nestle S.A.
· Represented Central American investor group in its joint venture with Mexican and other international investors in the launch of Volaris, one of Mexico's first low-cost airlines.
· Represented a Central American-based special purpose fund in its investment in Cartones America, a cardboard packaging company with paper mills and corrugation plants operating in Colombia, Venezuela, Peru and Ecuador.
· Represented a consortium of investors in the purchase of substantially all of the Latin American and Caribbean operations of McDonald's Corporation for approximately US$700 million.
· Represented majority shareholders of Banagricola S.A., one of El Salvador's largest financial institutions, in the sale to Bancolombia of up to 100% of the bank through parallel tender offers in El Salvador and Panama for approximately US$900 million.
· Advised majority shareholders in the sale of a controlling interest of Banco Occidente, one of Guatemala's oldest financial institutions, to Banco Industrial.
· Represented majority shareholders in the sale of a controlling interest of Banco Salvadoreño to Banistmo through a tender offer process in El Salvador.
· Represent one of the largest real estate developers in the U.S. in a number of joint ventures and development projects throughout Mexico, Panama, Colombia, Argentina and Brazil.
· Represented New York-based hedge fund in its joint venture with a casino operator in Maine.
· Represented Spanish tourism and sightseeing company in its joint venture with a U.S. operator.
· Represented Japanese trading company in connection with joint ventures in the U.S.
· Represented Spanish infrastructure company in proposed bid to design, build, finance, operate and maintain the Presidio Parkway Project, consisting of replacing portions of the south access to the Golden Gate Bridge.
· Counsel on U.S. financing matters to Spanish company operating toll road concession in Europe.
· Represented a Mexican infrastructure fund in its acquisition and lease-back of telecommunication assets throughout Mexico.
· Advised on corporate law matters as counsel to the lenders financing the construction of the I-4/Lee Roy Selmon Expressway Connector Interchange.
· Represented Spanish infrastructure company short-listed on Alligator Alley Toll-Road Project, a proposed public-private partnership with the Florida Department of Transportation to lease, operate, maintain and receive toll revenues from the 78-mile stretch of I-75 known as "Alligator Alley."
· Represented Bouygues Travaux Publics, S.A. and Meridiam Infrastructure Fund as the successful bidders on the Port of Miami Tunnel Project, a public-private partnership with the Florida Department of Transportation to design, finance, build, operate and maintain a tunnel connecting I-395 with the Port of Miami.
· Counsel to several real estate fund portfolio companies in connection with financings for projects in Mexico and Panama.
· Advised Central American private equity group on portfolio company financings.
· Advised international financial institution on restructuring of US$80 million credit facility issued to Central American media and telecommunications company.
· Advised Peruvian fishmeal company in US$31 million credit facility and subsequent US$185 million refinancing through a syndicated loan facility.
· Represented supplier of telecommunication network equipment in connection with vendor financings.
· General outside counsel to Grupo Phoenix Holdings, Ltd., a world leader in the supply of innovative rigid packaging solutions for consumer goods and products with operations in Colombia, Mexico, the U.S. and Venezuela.
· Advise international digital imaging solutions company on Latin American matters.
· Advise New York-based specialty finance company in connection with regulatory matters and acquisitions.
· Advise Guatemalan financial institution on U.S. law matters.
· Advise a number of European and Latin American companies doing business in the U.S., including a Spanish manufacturer and distributor of specialty foods, a Spanish tourism and sightseeing company, and an Argentine web-based technology company.
Representation of Family Groups and Individual Investors
· Represented internationally renowned recording artist in connection with investments and business ventures.
· Represented Central American family group making limited partnership investment in private equity fund.
· Represented high-net-worth individual investing in Colombian gold mining company.
· Represented Guatemalan family group investing in web-based entertainment company.
· Represented family-owned U.S. agribusiness in negotiating with Honduran supplier.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Mentioned, "Florida Jump-Starts Public Projects With New Finance Law," Law360, July 2, 2013
· Featured, "Helping to bridge the transaction knowledge gap," Iberian Lawyer, December 1, 2011
· Featured, "Public-Private Partnership's Financing May be Trendsetter," Daily Business Review, November 11, 2009
· Mentioned, "Puerto Rico Se Anota un Gol," El Nuevo Día, October 23, 2009
· Mentioned, "Bancolombia Finally Takes Banagrícola," Latin Lawyer, 2008
· Featured, "Previous Credit Suisse Business Helps in Loan to Peruvian Company," Daily Business Review, June 27, 2007
· Moderator, "Florida's Current Infrastructure: A Discussion on Current Investment Trends in Infrastructure, Challenges and Innovations, Highlights & Insights," Spain-US Chamber of Commerce Infrastructure & Transportation Seminar, Miami, Florida, July 2013
· Moderator, "Deal making in Latin America - How to Stimulate Deal Flow and Fund-Raise in the Current Fiscal Climate," Terrapinn Private Equity Latin America and Real Estate Latin America Conference, Miami, Florida, June 2013
· Panelist, "Doing Business in Brazil: Balancing Risk & Opportunity," BritWeek Business Forum, Miami, Florida, March 2013
· Moderator, "Latin America-Asia-Africa: Competitiveness, Trade, and Infrastructure," Americas Society/Council of the Americas, Private Sector Roundtable, Miami, Florida, March 2013
· Moderator, "Free Trade Agreements and Investment Opportunities," Americas Society/Council of the Americas, Latin American Cities Conference, Panama City, Panama, March 2012
· Speaker, "Intra-Regional Projects: Getting Deals Done Across Borders," 5th Annual Latin American Energy & Infrastructure Finance Forum, Coral Gables, Florida, March 2011
· Speaker, "Trends in Cross-Border M&A Transactions," U.S.-Mexico Bar Association, Mexico City, Mexico, November 2010
· Speaker, "A Peso or A Beso? Credit Availability and Financing in Latin America," Hispanic National Bar Association, 2010 Annual Convention, Minneapolis, Minnesota, September 2010
· Speaker, "Public Private Partnerships in the U.S. and Latin America: Challenges and Perspectives," The Florida Bar, Third Annual International Business Transactions Conference, Miami, Florida, May 2010
· Speaker, "Cracking the Door: The Future of U.S. Property, Trade, and Investment in Cuba," University of Miami School of Law, Coral Gables, Florida, February 2010
· Speaker, "Latin American Investment Climate: Colombian Coal Future," Colombian Coal Conference 2010, Barranquilla, Colombia, February 2010
· Speaker, "Cuba in Transition - The Future of Property," American Bar Association, Section of International Law, Miami, Florida, October 2009
· Speaker, LatAm Mining Congress, Coral Gables, Florida, July 2009
· Speaker, Mergermarket, Investing in Latin America Forum, Cartagena, Colombia, June 2009
· Speaker, Florida International University, Latin American CEO Forum, Coral Gables, Florida, 2008
· Speaker, "Aspectos Relevantes en las Transacciones Financieras Internacionales," Tercer Seminario Pre-Congreso, Asociación Bancaria de Guatemala, Guatemala City, Guatemala, July 2006
· Speaker, New England-Latin America Business Council, Boston, Massachusetts, June 2006
(Also at New York, New York Office)