Yvan Houle is a partner in our Construction Group, as well as our Aboriginal Law Group. He is recognized as a leading lawyer in construction law by the foremost legal rankings publications.
Yvan offers clients working in the construction and infrastructure fields his vast experience in procurement and tendering, negotiating, contract drafting and dispute resolution in a wide array of project delivery models, including public-private partnerships, design-building-finance-maintenance (DBFM) contracts, engineering-procurement-construction-maintenance (EPCM) contracts, and traditional design-bid-and-build contracts.
Mr. Houle is very active in these fields, as is evidenced by his major involvement in the Canadian Construction Association and the Institut pour le partenariat public et prive. As President of the national Construction and Infrastructure Law Section of the Canadian Bar Association, Yvan works closely with other practitioners in these areas of law across the country.
He is also active in both Nunavik and Nunavut, where his Aboriginal and construction law expertise have allowed him to assist various Inuit and governmental organizations.
Publications & Presentations
• Contractor's Performance Review Under Quebec's Public Procurement Regime, (2015) 1 J.C.C.L.33.
• The duty of good faith and the implications of the Nunavummi Nangminiqaqtunik Ikajuuti (NNI Policy) on construction project procurement in Nunavut, Nunavut Mining Symposium in Iqaluit, Nunavut: Construction Law, April 2015.
•Author of the Quebec sections of the Canada Chapter of Getting the Deal Through annual publication for construction law.
• Nunavut and Nunavik, BIT's 2nd Annual World Congress of Ocean - 2013, September 2013.
• Les principes juridiques des reclamations en relation avec les retards pouvant survenir sur un chantier, CCH Publications Ltd.: Conference on construction law, Montreal and Quebec City, May 2013.
• Statutory liability: Quebec's new world order, Canadian Bar Association, CLE 2012: Looking to the future of Construction, St. John's, Newfoundland, September 2012.
• Inuit du Nunavik: protagonistes du Plan Nord, Conference of the Institut pour le partenariat public-prive (IPPP), June 27, 2012.
• Hey, I thought we had a deal! - The unilateral resiliation of a construction contract in Quebec Law, 1 J.C.C.C.L. 41, May 2012.
• Gestion des litiges dans le domaine de la construction - Les clauses penales : les elements essentiels dans leur redaction pour eviter les ambiguites et assurer leur applicabilite, The Canadian Institute, April 25, 2012.
• Les clauses de reserve en matiere d'appel d'offres : leur etendue et leurs limites, editions Yvon Blais, April 16, 2012.
• The owner's discretion pursuant to a privilege clause in Quebec, Canadian College of Construction Lawyers, Ottawa, June 4th, 2011.
• Les clauses de reserve en matiere d'appel d'offres : leur etendue et leurs limites, Barreau du Quebec, Continuing Education, May 20, 2011.
• Les appels d'offres et les clauses d'exoneration de responsabilite : Tercon Contractors Ltd. v. British Columbia (Transportation and Highways), Canadian Bar Association, September 2010.
• L'opposabilite de la clause d'election de for et la responsabilite du manufacturier, BLG U, Continuing Education, June 3, 2010.
• Construction Insolvency - Where do you go when the Financial Well runs dry?, Canadian Construction Association, March 8, 2005.
• Hypotheque legale de la construction: specificites, risques et strategies, Construction Superconference, The Canadian Institute, November 25, 2004.
• Les reclamations pour couts additionnels ont-elles frappe un mur?, presentation to the Canadian Bar Association, October 19, 2004.
• Coverage when you really need it, current issues in construction, presentation to the Canadian Construction Association - Construction Section - March 25, 2004.
• La responsabilite des professionnels : obligations, deontologie, etendue et limites, Construction Superconference - The Canadian Institute, November 26, 2003.
• Les appels d'offres : tendances et considerations pratiques, Infonex Conference 2003, October 2, 2003.
• Le recours delictuel: une nouvelle avenue pour les intervenants de la construction, presentation to the Quebec Bar, published in Developpements recents en droit de la construction 2003, April 11, 2003.
Rankings & Recognitions
•Selected by peers for inclusion in the 2016 edition (and since 2006) of The Best Lawyers in Canada (Construction Law).
•Recognized in the 2015 edition of Who's Who Legal: Canada (Construction).
•Recognized in the 2015, 2014 and 2013 editions of Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (Aboriginal Law and Construction Law).
•Recognized as a leading infrastructure lawyer in the 2013 Lexpert /Report on Business Special Edition on Infrastructure.
•Recognized in the 2013 edition of Who's Who Legal: The International Who's Who of Construction Lawyers, where he is described as innovative, and a well-recognised presence in the market .
•Recognized in the 2013 edition of Legal Lexpert /American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada (Construction Law).