Yvan Houle is the National Leader of our Construction and Engineering Group, as well as the Regional Leader of our Aboriginal Law Group. He is recognized as a leading lawyer in construction law by the foremost legal rankings publications.
Yvan's contract drafting and dispute resolution experience covers a wide array of various project delivery models, including public-private partnerships, design-building-finance-maintenance (DBFM) contracts, engineering-procurement-construction-maintenance (EPCM) contracts, and traditional design-bid-and-build contracts. Yvan also has significant experience in advising clients on procurement issues and tendering, and he represents them before courts when disputes arise in such matters. He is also active in both Nunavik and Nunavut, where his Aboriginal and construction law expertise have allowed him to assist various Inuit and governmental organizations.
· Advises various stakeholders, including private and public property owners, architects and engineers, contractors, insurers and bonding companies, as well as sub-contractors and suppliers, in all facets of their business relationships and represents them before courts and arbitral tribunals in Québec and Ontario.
· Negotiates and drafts documents relating to calls for tenders, construction and procurement contracts, as well as related agreements for construction, energy, infrastructure and industrial projects.
· Advises and represents manufacturers in product liability litigation.
· Periodically advises and represents manufacturers with respect to their contractual and legal obligations, both in Québec and Ontario.
· Involved with BLG's Team North® and advises various active Inuit organizations in Nunavik and Nunavut.
Publications & Presentations
· "Les principes juridiques des réclamations en relation avec les retards pouvant survenir sur un chantier," CCH Publications Ltd.: Conference on construction law, Montréal and Québec City, May 2013.
· "Statutory liability: Québec's new world order," Canadian Bar Association, CLE 2012: Looking to the future of Construction, St. John's, Newfoundland, September 2012.
· "Inuit du Nunavik: protagonistes du Plan Nord," Conference of the Institut pour le partenariat public-privé (IPPP), June 27, 2012.
· "Hey, I thought we had a deal! The unilateral resiliation of a construction contract in Québec Law," 1 J.C.C.C.L. 41, May 2012.
· "Gestion des litiges dans le domaine de la construction - Les clauses pénales : les éléments essentiels dans leur rédaction pour éviter les ambiguïtés et assurer leur applicabilité," Canadian Institute, April 25, 2012.
· "Les clauses de réserve en matière d'appel d'offres : leur étendue et leurs limites," Éditions Yvon Blais, April 16, 2012.
· Chair, "Québec Innovation in Infrastructure Finance Forum," Project Finance, Montréal, June 2011.
· "The owner`s discretion pursuant to a privilege clause in Québec," Canadian College of Construction Lawyers, Ottawa, June 2011.
· "Les clauses de réserve en matière d'appel d'offres : leur étendue et leurs limites," Barreau du Québec, Continuing Education, May 20, 2011.
· Chair, National Training Days in Construction Law of the Canadian Bar Association, Québec City, Québec, October 23, 2010.
· "Les appels d'offres et les clauses d'exonération de responsabilité : Tercon Contractors Ltd. v. Colombie-Britannique (Transport et Voirie)," Canadian Bar Association, September 2010.
· "L'opposabilité de la clause d'élection de for et la responsabilité du manufacturier," BLG U Continuing Education, June 3, 2010.
· "Construction Insolvency - Where do you go when the Financial Well runs dry?," Canadian Construction Association, March 8, 2005.
· "Hypothèque légale de la construction: spécificités, risques et stratégies," Canadian Institute, November 25, 2004.
· "Les réclamations pour coûts additionnels ont-elles frappé un mur?," presentation to Canadian Bar Association, October 19, 2004.
· "Coverage when you really need it, current issues in construction," presentation to Canadian Construction Association - Construction Section - March 25, 2004.
· "La responsabilité des professionnels : obligations, déontologie, étendue et limites," Construction Superconference - Canadian Institute, November 26, 2003.
· "Les appels d'offres : tendances et considérations pratiques," Infonex Conference 2003, October 2, 2003.
· "Le recours délictuel: une nouvelle avenue pour les intervenants de la construction," presentation to the Québec Bar, published in Développements récents en droit de la construction 2003, April 11, 2003.
Rankings & Recognitions
· Recognized as a leading infrastrucutre lawyer in the 2013 Lexpert® Special Edition on Infrastructure.
· Selected by peers for inclusion in the 2014 edition (and since 2006) of The Best Lawyers in Canada® (Construction Law).
· Recognized in the 2013 edition of Who's Who Legal: The International Who's Who of Construction Lawyers, where he is described as "innovative", and a "well-recognised presence in the market".
· Mentioned in the 2013 edition of The Legal Lexpert®/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada (Construction Law).
· Mentioned in the 2013 edition of The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Construction Law).
· Martindale-Hubbell® BV® Distinguished™ 4.4 out of 5 Peer Review Rated.
· Canadian College of Construction Lawyers and Chair of the Insurance and Bonding Committee (Fellow).
· Member, Canadian Bar Association
· Vice-Chair, National Construction Law Section, Canadian Bar Association
· Member, Admissions and Supervision Committee, BLG's Montréal office
· Member, Council of Manufacturers, Suppliers and Services of the Canadian Construction Association
· Member, West Island CSSS Foundation