Peter Santos is an experienced business lawyer who previously co-chaired the firm's Business Litigation Practice Group. For more than twenty years, his focus has been on representing companies of all sizes - from ten employees to tens of thousands - in various business-related matters. Assisting companies in negotiating agreements before they are entered into, and resolving disputes through negotiation, arbitration and litigation when problems arise, are the broad areas in which Mr. Santos focuses his practice.
After thirteen years in private practice in Pennsylvania, Mr. Santos relocated to North Carolina in 2001. He opened and managed the Charlotte office of a major Pittsburgh law firm before joining Nexsen Pruet in 2004. In 2011, he began dividing his time between Charlotte and London. A significant portion of Mr. Santos' work involves international matters, including both international commercial transactions and international arbitration of disputes.
As a part time resident in London, Mr. Santos serves as the firm's European Economic Development Coordinator. In this role he assists the firm's Economic Development Team and various clients in identifying and capitalizing upon opportunities to grow their businesses in North America. Through his part time presence in Europe, the firm is better able to coordinate and capitalize upon the many opportunities presented for expansion in both the Carolina's and beyond.
Mr. Santos and his team regularly advise clients on commercial sales and financing arrangements, equipment leasing programs including cross border leasing, and the negotiation of sales and commercial agreements. When commercial agreements are not adhered to they work on the resolution of disputes in these areas.
Recent successes have included the favorable resolution of various multinational contractual disputes either through negotiation, mediation, arbitration, or a combination of them. These disputes have varied in size but he often leads a team addressing commercial disputes in the tens of millions of dollars. Chinese companies, both as clients and opponents, are increasingly part of the work he and his team handle.
For nearly ten years Mr. Santos managed the nationwide mass tort litigation defense of a multi-national company. In this capacity he supervised dozens of lawyers handling nearly thousands of claims across more than twenty-five states. Some of these cases were pending in what are often viewed as the most difficult jurisdictions in the country and many of these claims were brought by very experienced law firms. Mr. Santos and his team of lawyers successfully and efficiently defended these claims through innovative strategies and the application of business techniques to mass tort defense. The end result was a successful track record of resolving tens of thousands of claims quickly and efficiently. The team continues to serve as counsel for several companies in toxic tort litigation pending in North and South Carolina.
Mr. Santos has lectured at legal conferences on issues related to commercial law. In the early 1990's he was one of the first instructors on using the Internet in the practice of law for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute.
Mr. Santos received his undergraduate degree in political science from Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, PA and his J.D. from the Duquesne University School of Law, where he served on the Law Review, the Appellate Moot Court Team and where he received the Order of the Barristers. He is a member of the American Bar Association, the International Association of Defense Counsel and various bar and other professional associations.
· Handled the resolution of disputes filed before various arbitration tribunals, both domestic and international, including the AAA, ICDR and the ICC.
· Successfully managed the defense of over twenty thousand toxic tort claims.
· Negotiated the resolution at various stages both before and after trial of more than fifty commercial disputes ranging in size from several hundred thousand dollars to tens of millions of dollars.
· Routinely advises clients on commercial transactions and issues arising in connection with them including contract negotiations, asset protection, and cross-border financing.
· Obtained a Preliminary Injunction prohibiting competitor from hacking into his client's computer system in a "bet the company" case.
· Successfully defended a nearly $2 million preference action in a well-known bankruptcy case. This included vacating a default judgment that had been entered prior to Mr. Santos' retention.
· Represented a savings and loan institution in series of lender liability claims that resulted in the dismissal of all claims. The dismissal was affirmed by the Pennsylvania Superior Court.
· Served as lead bankruptcy counsel for a metropolitan county with a population in excess of one million.
· Admitted pro hac vice in more than 20 different jurisdictions.
· Opened and Managed the Charlotte office of a 130 lawyer firm.
"Technology allows national firm to field offices in smaller markets"
Nexsen Pruet attorney Peter Santos shares insight with South Carolina Lawyers weekly about how technology is impacting litigation and practice of law.
Nexsen Pruet Moves into New Space in Charlotte
The firm's new offices will be located on the 15th floor of the Carillon Building. That's on the corner of Trade and Poplar Streets.
"Nexsen Pruet makes uptown office move"
The Friday, April 23rd edition of the Charlotte Business Journal features an article entitled "Nexsen Pruet makes uptown office move."
International Law Update
Appeals court says international contract requires litigation in England.
The Carolinas Insurance Litigation Review
This issue of the Carolinas Insurance Litigation Review includes:
- "Challenging Policyholder Claims for Bad Faith and Punitive Damages" for North Carolina
- "Combating Policyholder Bad Faith and Breach of the Covenant of Good Faith and Fair Dealing Claims" for South Carolina
Civic & Professional Memberships
· Allegheny County Bar Association
· International Association of Defense Counsel
· Mecklenburg County Bar
· Pennsylvania Bar Association