Protecting your company is like walking a legal tightrope. What you don't know about risk, crisis and compliance can have dramatic consequences and jeopardize your company's assets and reputation.
The Best Practice Summit will open the evening of September 12 with a networking reception at the InterContinental Hotel on Chicago's Magnificent Mile. The following day will include Counsel to Counsel forums, Best Practice workshops designed to help you more fully explore the various aspects of the topics and networking events.
Join your peers from the following distinguished companies who registered early to participate:
- Caterpillar, Inc.
- Cisco Systems, Inc.
- The Coca-Cola Company
- eBay, Inc.
- ESG International
- Exelon Corporation
- FMC Technologies, Inc.
- Guaranty Bank
- LandAmerica Financial Group
- Midway Games Inc.
- Rauland-Borg Corporation
- Snap-on Incorporated
- St. Jude Medical, Inc.
- Sumitomo Trust & Banking Co.
- Tellabs Inc.
- Toys "R" Us, Inc.
- Walgreen Co.
Examine best practices and share experiences with your peers. Register now to participate in the Best Practice Summit.
8:30 am - 9:15 am
Featuring Keynote Speaker Bruno Cova, partner and co-chair, Paul Hastings' Milan office and former chief legal adviser investigating Parmalat.
Mr. Cova will discuss lessons learned from his past roles as general counsel of large multinational corporations, chief legal adviser investigating the Parmalat corporate fraud scandal, and current role of adviser to boards of directors and general counsel in complex, high-stakes situations. He will share insights on what general counsel can do to protect their company and reduce their professional exposure and liability.
9:30 am - 1:00 pm
You may choose from four concurrent C2C Forums below.
Compliance/Risk Management C2C Forum (2 sessions)
Today's Decisions, Tomorrow's Headlines: Managing Compliance and Mitigating Risk
- Balancing act: serving as business adviser and corporate conscience
- Building an ethics program that permeates the corporate culture
- Approaches for avoiding and containing damage to the corporate reputation
- Managing the career risks of being in the spotlight
- Accepting and addressing reputational risks
William A. Von Hoene, Jr., Senior Vice President & General Counsel, Exelon Corporation
Susan M. Ponce, Senior Vice President, Commercial Law, Halliburton Energy Services
Bonnie E. Green, Vice President, Compliance, and Assistant General Counsel, Sodexho, Inc.
Allan Resnick, Divisional Vice President Law, Walgreen Company
Law firm co-hosts:
Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP
DLA Piper Rudnick Gray Cary LLP
Duane Morris LLP
Foley & Lardner LLP
McGuire Woods LLP
Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
Corporate Crisis Management C2C Forum (2 sessions)
Damage Control: Corporate Counsel's Role in Containing/Resolving Corporate Crises
- Best practices in controlling "fallout" from high profile disputes and litigation
- Controlling damage through coordination with public affairs and other corporate functions
- Threat management: proactive steps to safeguard the corporate reputation
- Advising executive management on image and crisis issues
- The role and value of outside lawyers in crisis management
Hans Albers, Director Legal Services, US and Canada Operations, Cisco Systems
Michael Chabeli, Executive Assistant - Senior Counsel, Office of the General Counsel, The Coca-Cola Company
Jay Clemens, Vice President & Deputy General Counsel, eBay, Inc.
Michelle H. Gluck, Executive Vice President and General Counsel Legal Resources, LandAmerica Financial Group, Inc.
Law firm co-hosts:
Fraser Milner Casgrain LLP
Holland & Knight
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
Paul, Hastings, Janofsky & Walker LLP
2:30 pm – 5:00 pm
Best Practice Workshops
Participate in one of our afternoon Best Practice Workshops that will explore specific aspects of Compliance, Risk and Crisis Management. Each workshop will be comprised of no more than 12 team members and a professional facilitator working collaboratively to develop new solutions to the key issues related to the primary topics.
Sample Workshop Topics
Corporate Crisis Management
- Managing constituents: dealing with regulators, auditors and government agencies
- Cultivating a culture of compliance
- Developing internal investigation protocols
- Developing a crisis and risk audit
- Cross-border crisis management
- Crisis communication: strategies and tactics
- Beyond disaster recovery: developing a comprehensive crisis plan