- Network Clearance Corner: Tips 9 and 10
- January 18, 2007
- Law Firm: Reed Smith LLP - Pittsburgh Office
The following is part of a series of helpful tips to keep in mind when clearing commercials with the networks.
Tip #9 Helpful Points to Keep in Mind
Now that you know the basics of network clearance, here are some important points to keep in mind when clearing commercials with the networks:
- Start the clearance process as early as possible.
- When in doubt, call the editors.
- Submit claim substantiation and other support materials as far in advance of production as possible.
- Obtain approval from all of the networks on storyboards prior to production.
- When possible, submit final commercials well in advance of the first airdate.
Tip# 10 What All Of This Means
In closing, I would like to say a few words about the network clearance process. It takes many people working together to carry a commercial from concept stage to broadcast. The network clearance editors are an important part of that process. Their goal is to approve advertising that is honest and in good taste, and they will work very closely with advertisers to achieve that goal. The network clearance process is truly a collaborative effort, and it should be treated as such. And when everyone is on the same team, we all benefit.