James provides general corporate and bank regulatory advice to clients. James has substantial experience in the representation of public and private companies and financial institutions in mergers and acquisitions, securities offerings and regulatory reporting and compliance. He also advises clients with respect to controlling and non-controlling equity investments.
James' experience includes the representation of financial institutions in:
· More than two dozen branch and whole bank mergers, acquisitions and divestitures.
· More than two dozen public and private debt and equity offerings.
· Private equity recapitalizations involving the preservation of deferred tax assets, regulatory control avoidance and other complex issues.
· Bulk asset purchases and sales, proxy contests, TARP transactions and post-closing compliance, failed bank acquisitions, charter conversions and bank holding company formations.
· Regulatory compliance matters and enforcement actions before federal and state regulators.
James' other experience includes the representation of:
· Issuers in more than a dozen public and private equity offerings.
· Issuers in more than a dozen public and private debt offerings.
· Buyers and sellers that manufacture building and other products in two dozen mergers, acquisitions and divestitures.
· Buyers and sellers that provide business consulting and other services in more than a dozen mergers, acquisitions and divestitures.
· A telecommunications company in connection with four acquisitions and divestitures with an aggregate transaction value of over $4.4 billion.
· Financial institutions and other companies in over a dozen tender offers and going private transactions.
Publications, Presentations and Speaking Engagements
Presenter, Troutman Sanders/Porter Keadle Moore/Banks Street Partners Market Update 2013 (August 2013).
Presenter, "Reading the Regulatory Tea Leaves: Basel III and Dodd-Frank Update," State Bar of Georgia Banking and Finance Law Seminar, February 08, 2013.
Presenter, "You Survived...Now What?" Georgia Bankers Association CED/Bank Counsel Conference, October 02, 2012.
Presenter, "The Role Of Lawyers In The Interaction Between Bank Clients And The Government," Banking and Finance Law Seminar, February 17, 2012.
Presenter, "Dodd Frank Update," HAÆ Accounting & Legal Update for Public Companies, December 08, 2011.
Presenter, "Operational, Accounting, Tax and Legal Considerations," Porter Keadle Moore, LLP's Strategic Expansion Seminar: Loss Share & Beyond, August 30, 2011.
Presenter, "Dealing with Today's Legal and Regulatory Issues - Ask the Attorneys," 2011 Georgia Bankers Association Annual Convention, June 21, 2011.
Presenter, "Are you SAFE - Change is Everywhere," Georgia Bankers Association Compliance Conference, October 19, 2010.
Presenter, "FDIC Claims and DÆ Insurance," Georgia Bankers Association CEO/Bank Counsel Conference, October 05, 2010.
Presenter, "Overview of the Securities Laws and Regulations: Understanding the Framework," Basic Securities Law Seminar, March 26, 2010.
Presenter, "So You Bought a Failed Bank: Now What?" Georgia Bankers Association Annual Meeting, June 01, 2009.
Presenter, "Good Corporate Governance for Non-Profits," Pro Bono Partnership, May 01, 2009.
Presenter, "Hot Legal Topics Impacting Credit Unions," Georgia Credit Union League, February 01, 2009.
Presenter, "Overview of the Securities Laws and Regulations: Understanding the Framework," Basic Securities Law Seminar, March 28, 2008.
Presenter, "Organizing and Operating a Non-Profit Corporation," Foundation Center, July 01, 2007.
Author, "Absent Regulatory Changes, Hispanic Immigrants Pose an Unbankable Risk," The Banking Law Journal, March 16, 2006.
Named "Financial Services Regulation Law Atlanta Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers (2014).
Recognized as an Up and Comer for Banking and Finance Law by Chambers USA (2013).
Recognized in the Best Lawyers in America® for Banking and Finance Law (2013-2014).
Recognized as a "40 Under 40 Up and Comer" by the Atlanta Business Chronicle (2009).
Selected as a Georgia "Rising Star" by SuperLawyers magazine (2006-2011).
Member of 2007-2008 Leadership Buckhead Program.
Partner, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2013-present
Partner, Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP, 2009-2013
Associate, Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton, 2001-2009
· Empty Stocking Fund, Board and Finance Committee Member
· Georgia Bankers Association, Bank Counsel Section, Past Chairman
· Leadership Buckhead, Board Member, Secretary and Co-Chair of Nominations
You should not send any sensitive or confidential information through this site. Emails sent through this site do not create an attorney-client relationship and may not be treated as privileged or confidential. The lawyer or law firm you are contacting is not required to, and may choose not to, accept you as a client. The Internet is not necessarily secure and emails sent though this site could be intercepted or read by third parties.