Susan Russell focuses her practice on trademark, copyright, and trade secret transactions, prosecution, enforcement, and litigation. She has experience with international intellectual property law disputes, social media, online legal disputes, as well as right of publicity and advertising law.
Susan regularly advises clients across various industries, including leading apparel and fashion companies, construction technology entrepreneurs, musicians, social media companies, and consumer product companies.
Susan assists her clients with USPTO matters, including trademark search and clearance, responses to Office Actions, and post-registration Petitions; TTAB proceedings, including Opposition and Cancellation matters; UDRP matters, including domain name disputes and transfers; DMCA matters, including copyright takedown notices; and, IP infringement and enforcement matters. Her experience includes domestic and international trademark and copyright enforcement with counterfeit and grey market goods, including cross-border importation of goods, and working with international customs agencies and IP rights organizations.
Additionally, Susan works with clients on IP contract and license drafting, review, and analysis, including Music Performance Agreements, Sponsorship Agreements, Employee IP Agreements, and IP Assignments. She also conducts IP audits, IP valuation, and IP due diligence.
Susan has extensive IP academic experience both in the United States and abroad, having been a visiting scholar at Emory University School of Law in Atlanta, at Columbia Law School in New York and at Max Planck Institute for Intellectual Property in Munich, Germany. Additionally, she served on the Editorial Board of several academic journals, including the Berkeley Technology Law Journal, Submissions Committee. Susan was also the recipient of the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (German Research Foundation Scholarship), a member of the Order of Barristers, and recipient of the Saul Lefkowitz Moot Court Competition, Trademark and Unfair Competition Law, National Best Brief award.
• "Website Owners Face Deadline to Preserve Liability Safe Harbor," JD Supra, April 20, 2017.
• "The First Amendment Strikes Back—Lanham Act’s Disparaging Trademark Registration Ban Struck Down as Unconstitutional," IP Litigator, April 2016.
• "Use It or Lose It: Service Mark Registration is Subject to Cancellation if the Application is Only Supported by Advertising," IP Today, May 2015.
Professional and Community Involvement
• State Bar of Georgia, IP Section, Trademark Committee, Member
• International Trademark Association, Member
• Atlanta IP Inn of Court, Member
• Georgia Association for Women Lawyers, Leadership Committee Member
• Saul Lefkowitz Moot Court Competition, Trademark and Unfair Competition Law, Judge
• UC Berkeley Alumni Club of Georgia, Vice President and President-Elect
• YES Berkeley! Student Recruitment, Ambassador
• The Junior League of Atlanta, Sustaining Member
• Virginia Highland Civic Association, Volunteer
• Georgia Lawyers for the Arts, Pro Bono Volunteer
• Associate, Troutman Sanders LLP, 2017-present
• Attorney, Eversheds Sutherland (US) LLP, 2016-2017
• Law Clerk, Sutherland, Asbill & Brennan LLP, 2014-2016
• Founder and Owner, International Research and Editing Services, Hamburg, Germany and Atlanta, Georgia, 2004-2014
• Adjunct Professor, Lecturer and Instructor, Universität Hamburg and FOM University of Applied Sciences for Economics and Management, MBA Programs, Germany 2004-2012
You should not send any sensitive or confidential information through this site. Emails sent through this site do not create an attorney-client relationship and may not be treated as privileged or confidential. The lawyer or law firm you are contacting is not required to, and may choose not to, accept you as a client. The Internet is not necessarily secure and emails sent though this site could be intercepted or read by third parties.