Karen Burgess is a founder of Richardson + Burgess LLP. Karen has an AV®Preeminent™ rating by Martindale-Hubbell, reflecting the highest ethical standards and legal ability, and she is Board Certified in Civil Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. She is an active member of the American Board of Trial Advocates, and ABOTA’s President recently appointed her to the National Board of Directors. In March 2015, Karen was inducted as a Fellow in the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, which limits membership to 500 Fellows from the United States. Karen is a team leader for the Lloyd Lochridge Inn of Court, and she serves on the Texas Bar Foundation’s Nominating Committee. Thomson Reuters named Karen a “Top 50 Women Super Lawyer” as well as a “Top 50 Central & West Texas Super Lawyer” for 2014. Also in 2014, Karen was Co-Chair of the UT Page Keeton Civil Litigation Seminar and Co-Chair of Bench Bar. She served as Chair of the Austin Bar Association Civil Litigation Section Board from 2012-13, and the Travis County Women Lawyers Association named her Litigator of the Year for 2012. In 2011, Karen was also selected a “Winning Woman” by Texas Lawyer, an honor reserved for only twenty attorneys in the State of Texas.
Karen handles complex business cases, including trade secret, securities, fiduciary, contract, partnership, insurance, employment, construction, real estate and oil and gas litigation.
Before practicing law in Austin, Karen earned her B.A. in Economics, Spanish, and Policy Studies from Rice University, where she had the opportunity to study at the Universidad Catolica in Valparaiso, Chile, and a J.D. from The University of Texas School of Law in Austin.
Honors & Distinctions
* International Academy of Trial Lawyers
* American Board of Trial Advocates, National Board of Directors, 2015-2018
* Board Certified in Civil Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
* AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5, Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating
* “Top 50 Women Super Lawyer” as well as a “Top 50 Central & West Texas Super Lawyer” (Thomson Reuters) as featured in Texas Monthly® – 2014
* “Super Lawyer” (Thomson Reuters) as featured in Texas Monthly® – 2012, 2013, 2014; “Rising Star” (Thomson Reuters) as featured in Texas Monthly® – 2004, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011
* Texas Lawyer’s “Winning Women,” 2011 (1 of only 20)
* Travis County Women Lawyers Association “Litigator of the Year,” 2012
* UT Page Keeton Civil Litigation Seminar, 2014 Co-Chair
* American Bar Association Intellectual Property Law Conference Presenter, 2014
* Austin Bar Association Civil Litigation Section, Former Chair
* Austin Bar Association Bench Bar, 2014 Co-Chair
* Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow and District Nominating Committee Co-Chai