The firm that is now Engel, Hairston and Johanson, P.C. was established in 1950 with a concentration in creditor's rights and commercial collections. To meet the needs of an expanding client base within the financial community this concentration was expanded to include bankruptcy, commercial and patent litigation; structuring and documenting asset based loans; structuring and documenting Small Business loans; and liquidations. It services all parts of Alabama from its office in Birmingham. One or more of its members is admitted to practice in Alabama, Georgia and Florida and before all of the State and Federal Courts in Alabama, the Fifth and Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals in Alabama and the U.S. Supreme Court. In addition to filling the needs of its clients the firm has taken an active and responsible role within the legal community both at the local, state and national level.