Michael Burwick works in the Corporate and Business Law department and is a member of Day Pitney's Broker-Dealer, Investment Advisers and Commodities Firms practice group. Michael practices in the area of corporate law (especially with respect to closely-held corporations), securities law (specifically in the areas of securities compliance and financial regulation), corporate controls, compliance and governance with an emphasis on the Sarbanes-Oxley Act and the representation of emerging companies.
· Defended a registered representative in a FINRA arbitration proceeding in which the claimant was seeking in excess of $1 million.
· Successfully represented more than one hundred investors in three real estate syndications that were in imminent danger of losing their properties (collectively valued at more than $100 million) to foreclosure and total loss of principal.
· Represented the largest commercial waterproofing company in the United States in a contract negotiation where the contract was valued at more than $850,000.
· Represented a tax strategy firm before FINRA and the Internal Revenue Service together with two national law firms.
· Conducted a critical review and subsequent reformation of a complex compliance manual for a registered investment adviser.
· Served as Managing Director for a compliance consulting firm.
· Served as outside General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer for one publicly traded healthcare company and as Corporate Counsel and Director of Government Affairs for another publicly traded healthcare company.
· Served as Vice President and General Counsel for a pre-IPO technology firm and as Due Diligence Counsel for a broker-dealer and registered investment adviser.
News, Publications & Presentations
· Currently serves as legal expert to the Dr. Gina Loudon Show.
· From 2007 to 2009, was the co-host of "The Financial Consultants with Birnbaum and Burwick," a daily business and public affairs program; has also appeared several times on the Fox News Channel.
· Contributor to The Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics, The New England Real Estate Journal, The New York Real Estate Journal, The Mid Atlantic Real Estate Journal, The Jacksonville Business Journal, The Hilton Head Island Packet, Bluffton Today, Parcbench, Forbes, and The American Spectator.
· Quoted in The Atlanta Journal Constitution, The Boston Globe, The Boston Herald and in syndicated columns in WorldNetDaily.
· A regular speaker at legal, accounting and financial services industry events, seminars and workshops including the IMN Conference (New York, NY), TICA / REISA Symposia (Las Vegas, Salt Lake City and San Diego) and The Gathering of Angels (Santa Fe).
· American Bar Association
· Boston Bar Association
· Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce
· Hyannis Chamber of Commerce
· National Society of Compliance Professionals
· YMCA Cape Cod
· Cape Cod Challenger Club
· Cape Abilities
· Autism Speaks
· Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation
· The Jimmy Fund of the Dana Farber Cancer Institute
· Make-A-Wish Foundation
· Canines for Disabled Kids
· American Poodles At Work
· American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
· The Humane Society of the United States
· The Orbit Village Project
· Wounded Warrior Project
· Hyannis Yacht Club
You should not send any sensitive or confidential information through this site. Emails sent through this site do not create an attorney-client relationship and may not be treated as privileged or confidential. The lawyer or law firm you are contacting is not required to, and may choose not to, accept you as a client. The Internet is not necessarily secure and emails sent though this site could be intercepted or read by third parties.