Wade Haaland is a registered patent attorney and focuses his practice on protecting and leveraging the innovative concepts developed by his clients in the life sciences industry. He prosecutes foreign and domestic patent applications in the biotechnology, material science, and medical device fields, and works closely with inventors and start-up companies to tailor patent applications for strategic advantage, investor interest, and cost-effective protection for their “bet the company” technology. Wade also counsels agents responding to foreign patent offices’ communications to ensure these prosecution efforts comport with, and do not undermine, domestic efforts.
Wade routinely interviews patent examiners to educate them about his clients’ technology and resolve rejections. When necessary, Wade drafts appeals for consideration by the Patent Trial and Appeal Board that aggressively argue against the examiners and advocate for his clients’ interests. He also performs freedom to operate, landscape, and patentability analyses in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology arenas along with performing due diligence of IP portfolios for licensing agreements and mergers and acquisitions.
Prior to joining private practice, Wade managed all intellectual property matters in his capacity as the general counsel to a Houston-based, family-owned manufacturer focused on urogenital health. This, along with his time as a molecular biologist, gives Wade a unique perspective when serving clients.
• Managed prosecution efforts of several global portfolios assigned to a Fortune 200 multinational. °
• Performed due diligence related to several pharmaceutical compositions and cancer treatment methods for potential commercial development by Fortune 100 multinational. °
• Successfully prosecuted application directed to novel methods of detecting a degradation product of 3,4 diaminopyridine that can be used as standardized means of determining purity of the drug. °
• Negotiated favorable outcomes for a patent litigation and multiple trademark disputes that increased client revenues, preserved domestic competitive advantage, and mitigated risk of future disputes. °
°The above representations were handled by Mr. Haaland prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
• General Counsel, High Island Health, LLC, 2009-2015
• Legal Intern/Law Clerk, 151st Civil Court, Houston, TX, 2007-2008
Recognition & Leadership
Professional & Community Involvement
• Member, Texas Bar Association
• Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
• Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
• Member, Philadelphia Intellectual Property Law Association
Texas Bar Association; Pennsylvania Bar Association; American Intellectual Property Law Association; Philadelphia Intellectual Property Law Association.
You should not send any sensitive or confidential information through this site. Emails sent through this site do not create an attorney-client relationship and may not be treated as privileged or confidential. The lawyer or law firm you are contacting is not required to, and may choose not to, accept you as a client. The Internet is not necessarily secure and emails sent though this site could be intercepted or read by third parties.