A partner in the firm, Alexis is a member of the Insurance & Risk Management, Commercial Litigation and Health Law Practice Groups. She practices in the areas of insurance, general litigation and medical-legal issues and has appeared before all levels of court in Alberta and the Northwest Territories.
Alexis represents and advises corporations and institutions in various commercial and insurance disputes including contractual, negligence, fatality inquiries, insurance coverage, occupier’s liability and product liability issues.
Her experience includes a wide variety of insurance issues (automobile coverage disputes, commercial general liability, business interruptions, tenant liability, fire, and cannabis-related issues), professional negligence issues (accountants, pharmacists, and veterinarians), as well as general commercial litigation issues related to contractual disputes and construction litigation. Alexis has experience resolving matters through trials, judicial dispute resolution, and arbitration and is listed on the Canadian Defence Lawyers/Canadian Insurance Claims Managers Association arbitration roster.
Alexis is Co-chair of the McLennan Ross Insurance & Risk Management Practice Group, Program Coordinator for the McLennan Ross Mentor Program, and Chair of the McLennan Ross Student Hiring Committee for Calgary.
Awards and Recognition:
•Insurance Law, Best Lawyers in Canada, 2019
•AV Distinguished Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
•Represents veterinarians on professional negligence issues.
•Represents pharmacists on professional negligence issues.
•Acted for a major retailer of energy and energy solutions on a fatality claim involving the death of a man inside his own home in winter weather conditions.
•Represented grocery stores and other retailers with regard to slip and fall issues, occupier’s liability issues and allegations of employee negligence.
•Represented both landlords and tenants in claims related to lease agreements and restrictive covenants.
•Regularly represents insurers and their insureds in a variety of issues related to automobile accidents (injury claims and fatalities) which have been resolved at mediations, judicial dispute resolutions and trial.
•Regularly advises insurers and their insureds on occupiers liability issues.
•Regularly advises insurers on coverage issues related to automobile policies, commercial general liability policies, non-waiver agreements and reservation of rights letters, rental car issues, business interruption issues and directors’ and officers’ liability.
•Regularly advises insurers on issues related to no-fault benefits and Section B claims
•Regularly advises insurers on SEF 44 issues.
•Has advised insurers in issues related to subrogated claims and the ability of out of province benefit providers to advance subrogated claims.
•Represented construction companies and their employees (both insured and self-represented) in claims arising from alleged construction deficiencies, including issues related to soil settlement, drainage, building envelope issues, placement of irrigation lines, poor ventilation, faulty soffits and general contractor and sub-contractor issues.
•Represented insurance companies and their insureds in relation to minor’s property issues and claims related to loss of dependency.
•Commercial litigation disputes related to contracts (oral and written), failure of HVAC systems, failure of sprinkler systems, lease issues, water damage, failure of furnaces and hot water heaters and usurious loan arrangements.
•Represented physicians on issues related to medical malpractice and negligence in civil claims and coroner’s inquests.
•Represented accountants on professional negligence issues.
•Experience with estate litigation, including capacity issues, proving wills, the role of trustees and challenges to wills and beneficiary designations.
In addition to the presentations below, Alexis regularly presents at the McLennan Ross Insurance Year in Review seminars, and many in-house client seminars, on insurance issues, costs, formal offers, the rules of court and the litigation process.
• Insurance & Risk Management Trends & Updates, McLennan Ross Seminar, 2018
• Smoke on the Horizon: An Update on the Current Regime of Legalized Medical Marijuana, Southern Alberta Risk & Insurance Management Society, 2018
• Joint Accountability - a Risk and Insurance Focused Marijuana Primer, Southern Alberta Risk & Insurance Management Society Monthly Breakfast Meeting, 2017
• The Modern City and Driverless Cars, Canadian Risk Insurance Management Society Conference, 2016
• Insurance Trends & Updates, McLennan Ross Seminar, 2016
• Construction Insurance, McLennan Ross Seminar, 2015
• Oral Advocacy (2012 to present), Canadian Centre for Professional Legal Education
• Evidence for Litigators, Law Society of Alberta Civil Advocacy Series
• Women and the Law, Inns of Court
• Wills & Estates, Continuing Education Program - Metro Community College
•“Stolen Car from a Garage Results in No Duty of Care Owed by Garage Owner ” Ainslie Fowler and Alexis Moulton, McLennan Ross E-Mail Alert, 2018
•“Clarification of “Cap” Injuries in Alberta Motor Vehicle Accidents ”, Richard Wong and Alexis Moulton, McLennan Ross E-Mail Alert, 2018
• Growth Industry, Alexis Moulton and Nathaniel Brenneis, Canadian Underwriter, 2017
• Accident Decision Shows Perils of Self Representation, The Lawyers Weekly, 2016
• Just Take the Offer!, Alexis Moulton and Don Dear, Q.C., McLennan Ross E-Mail Alert, 2016
• Land Developer Vindicated in Occupiers' Liability Case, Alexis Moulton and Jennifer Biernaskie, McLennan Ross E-Mail Alert, 2016
•“Are Pierringer Agreements and Mary Carter Agreements Still Effective Tools for Minimizing Litigation Risk?”, Canadian Underwriter
•“The Alberta's Court of Appeal Weighs In on the Use and Operation of an Automobile”, Claims Canada
•“The Defence Costs Allocation Dispute”, Claims Canada
In addition to the publications above Alexis is a regular contributor to the McLennan Ross Legal Counsel Newsletter and e-mail alerts.