- 4.6/5.0 (9 reviews)
Gavin has extensive experience acting in environmental approval and energy permitting processes for oil and gas facilities (wells, pipelines, processing plants), mining projects and electric power facilities (power plants, transmission lines and hydroelectric projects) both provincially and federally under the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act.
Gavin also has expertise in Aboriginal law and issues, including the duty to consult and land claims; as well as in the areas of expropriation and surface rights.
Awards and Recognition:
•Energy and Natural Resources (Alberta), Chambers Canada
•Leading Practitioner, Lexpert Leading Canadian Lawyers in Global Mining
•Energy Regulatory Law and Environmental Law, Best Lawyersin Canada
•Environmental Law, Chambers Canada
•Electricity Law, Environmental Law and Oil & Gas Law, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
•AV Distinguished Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
•Environmental Law, Who’s Who Legal - Canada
•Calgary Environmental Law Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers in Canada 2012
•fellow, Royal Canadian Geographical Society
•Queen's Counsel, 2014
Gavin regularly offers preeminent legal opinions on environmental and regulatory issues via the McLennan Ross Assessing the Impact: Environmental and Resources Law Blog .
• Some Thoughts on BC's Plan to Restrict Increased Transportation of Bitumen Gavin Fitch, Q.C., Assessing the Impact: Environmental and Resources Law Blog, 2018
• The Role of a Tribunal in Fulfilling the Duty to Consult Gavin Fitch, Q.C., Assessing the Impact: Environmental and Resources Law Blog, 2017
• Supreme Court of Canada Dismisses Consultation and Charter Claims in Relation to Jumbo Valley Resort Marco Baldasaro and Gavin Fitch, Q.C., Assessing the Impact: Environmental and Resources Law Blog, 2017
Oil and Gas
•Represented a natural gas producer in major ERCB hearing on ownership of coalbed methane (CBM) in “split title” cases.
•Acts for clients in major sour gas hearings before the ERCB.
•Represents clients in ERCB hearings for approval of pipelines and gas processing plants.
•Represents clients in Surface Rights Board hearings to determine the compensation payable for oil and gas sites.
•Represented property owners in the Lynnview Ridge contamination case, before the Environmental Appeals Board and the courts.
•Appeared in most major transmission line approval hearings before the AUC since 2006.
•Represented clients in hearings for approval of electric generation projects (power plants).
•Was counsel to the Joint Review Panel conducting the environmental assessment of the Lower Churchill Hydroelectric Project in Labrador.
•Counseled to the federal Review Panel conducting the environmental assessment of the Prosperity gold and copper mine in British Columbia.
•Represented an independent environmental monitoring agency in a hearing in the Northwest Territories on reclamation of a diamond mine.
•Served as Special Representative to the Minister of Indian and Northern Affairs on land claims in the Southern Yukon.
•Canada’s Chief Negotiator for a comprehensive land claim in north-eastern British Columbia.
• When geography and the law collide , Canadian Geographic, 2017
• Myths and Realities: Addressing Environmental Impacts of Multi-stage Fracturing of Horizontal Wells and Implications for Policy and Regulatory Change , Canadian Institute Conference, 2010
• Standing , Energy Regulatory Forum, 2010
• Regulatory and Legal Issues Respecting CBM Developments in Alberta and BC , Canadian Petroleum Law Foundation Conference, 2007
• Stakeholder Relations in an Era of Water Scarcity , Insight Conference, 2006
• The Latest Word on Complying with Provincial Guidelines, Regulations and Standards for Drinking Water , Canadian Institute Conference, 2006
• Overview and Impact of Legal Decision in Lynnview Ridge Residents’ Action Committee v. Imperial Oil , Insight Conference, 2006
Professional Associations, Affiliations and Community Activities
•Governor and Vice President, Royal Canadian Geographical Society
•Past President, Board of Directors, Environmental Law Centre
•Co-chair, Environmental Law Forum
•Past President, Alberta Expropriation Association
You should not send any sensitive or confidential information through this site. Emails sent through this site do not create an attorney-client relationship and may not be treated as privileged or confidential. The lawyer or law firm you are contacting is not required to, and may choose not to, accept you as a client. The Internet is not necessarily secure and emails sent though this site could be intercepted or read by third parties.