Ira Cooper is a partner in our Financial Services Group in Calgary. His practice focuses on corporate finance and, in particular, banking, corporate lending, commercial lending, project finance, structured finance, acquisition financing and Personal Property Security Act matters.
Ira acts for both lenders and investors as well as borrowers and issuers in connection with numerous types of domestic, cross-border and international debt financings. Recent transactions have included major acquisition financings, corporate credits, financings of private-equity takeovers, private placements, bond issuances, cross-border financings, covenant based financings, margined financings and have included financings in various industries ranging from energy, energy services and pipelines to agriculture and the food industry. His transactions range from investment grade and covenant based financings to energy reserves and accounts and inventory margining facilities to demand credit facilities.
Ira currently acts as lead counsel to the lending syndicate numerous companies including Potash Corporation, Parkland Fuel, Alliance Grain, Calfrac Well Services, Petrogas Energy, Phoenix Energy Services, Site Energy Services, Total Energy, Cor Van Raay Farms and Dash Cattle Company. He also acts as lead banking counsel to numerous companies including Birchcliff Energy, Horizon North, Bonterra Energy, and has acted as lead banking counsel to Crescent Point Energy, Enbridge Inc., Enbridge Pipelines Inc., Enbridge Gas Distribution Inc., Enbridge Income Fund, Tangle Creek Energy and Surge Energy and has extensive experience, as borrower's counsel, in numerous syndicated and bi-lateral debt financings.
Publications & Presentations
• Presenter, Corporate Drafting - Corporate opinion seminar, 2015 Legal Education Society of Alberta.
• Presenter, “ Hot Topics for Solicitors - Legal Updates in Secured Transactions, ” 2014 Alberta Law Conference.
• Presenter for one of Canada's Big Banks, Loan Documentation Course.
• Various presentations to banks on syndicated transactions.
Rankings & Recognitions
• Recognized as a leading energy lawyer in the 2016 edition of Lexpert/Report on Business Special Edition on Energy.
• Recognized in the 2015 edition of the Legal 500 Canada (Banking & Finance; Corporate and M&A).
• Selected by peers for inclusion in the 2015 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada (Banking & Finance Law).
•Member, Canadian Bar Association
•Member, Law Society of Alberta
•Member, Calgary Bar Association
•Former Chair, McCarthy Tetrault, United Way Campaign