Prior to joining the firm, John was a patent agent at another leading Vancouver law firm. Previously, he worked as a hardware design engineer and project leader for Dynapro Systems Inc., an affiliate of Allen-Bradley Corp. His main areas of industrial experience include hardware system and communication system design using the Intel 80XXX series microprocessor family, analog design for data acquisition, telephone switchboard installation and the inspection of electrical power utility apparatus.
John has been a guest lecturer at the University of Victoria, the University of British Columbia, Simon Fraser University and other local and international venues.
Rankings and Recognition
•Recognized in the 2015 edition of Who's Who Legal: Patents
•Recognized annually since the inaugural edition in 2012 of IAM Patent 1000 - The World's Leading Patent Practitioners under Prosecution
•fellow, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
•Member, Federation internationale des conseils en propriete intellectuelle (FICPI); member of the Finance Advisory Board; President of FICPI Canada; Technical Program Coordinator for the 2014 FICPI ABC meeting
• Patents: Opposition, moderator at the FICPI Open Forum, Barcenlona, Spain, November 2014
• Getting Patents Quickly in North America, presented at the FICPI Open Forum, Sorrento, Italy, October 2013
• Recent CIPO Examination Practice Guidelines, presented at the FICPI ABC meeting, New Orleans,
Louisiana, May 2013
• The 'Art' of Patentable Subject Matter in Canada, presented at the FICPI ABC meeting, Bath, England, June 2011
• Digital Electronics, British Columbia Institute of Technology, Burnaby, BC, 1983-1986