She also assists clients in the development and implementation of employment, harassment, whistleblower and discipline policies. Joyce conducts harassment investigations on behalf of clients as well as acting as an independent investigator.
Joyce represents clients before the courts and administrative tribunals including grievance arbitration panels and human rights panels.
She is a frequent writer and speaker on human rights, labour relations and employment matters, particularly with respect to the employer’s duty to accommodate.
Awards and Recognition:
•Employment (Employer), Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
•Workplace Human Rights (Employer), Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
•Calgary Labour & Employment Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers in Canada
•Labour & EmploymentLaw, Best Lawyers in Canada, 2012 - 2017
•Regularly represents employers on judicial review applications and employment lawsuits.
•Continually represents and advises employers before the Alberta Labour Relations Board and the Canada Industrial Relations Board regarding matters such as union certification and revocation, unfair labour practice complaints, strikes and lockouts, and successorship and common employer applications.
•Represents employers before Grievance Arbitration Boards in disputes arising under collective agreements; Joyce has represented employers in respect to issues such as management rights, employee discipline and terminations, layoffs, discrimination, sexual harassment, workplace accommodation, intoxication, employee compensation, employee benefits, and union dues and remittances.
•Regularly represents employers in respect to human rights complaints before the Human Rights Tribunal of Alberta and the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal.
• 2017 Labour & Employment Year in Review, McLennan Ross Seminar
• Workplace Harassment: It's All Fun and Games Until Someone Gets Sued, McLennan Ross Webinar
• 2016 Labour & Employment Year in Review, McLennan Ross Seminar
• Medical Marijuana, McLennan Ross Duty to Accommodate Seminar and Mock Human Rights Tribunal Hearing
• 2015 Labour & Employment Year in Review, McLennan Ross Seminar
• 2014 Labour & Employment Year in Review, McLennan Ross Seminar
• 2013 Labour & Employment Year in Review”, McLennan Ross Seminar
•“Accommodating Mental and Physical Disabilities in the Workplace: An In-Depth Training Session for Employers and Unions”, Lancaster House, Advanced Skills Training
•The 2014 Accommodation Law Conference, Centre for Labour Management Development
•Co-Chair, Lancaster House, 32nd Annual Labour Arbitration and Policy Conference
•“2012 Labour & Employment Year in Review”, McLennan Ross Seminar
•Conference Advisory Committee, Lancaster House, 31st Annual Labour Arbitration and Policy Conference
•“2011 Labour & Employment Year in Review”, McLennan Ross Seminar
•“Dealing with Union Drives”, Retail Industry Group
• Alberta Chapter, Vicki Giles and Joyce Mitchell, Cross-Canada Guide to Human Rights Law in Employment, Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers
• The Employment Implications of Social Networking, McLennan Ross Legal Counsel Newsletter
Professional Associations, Affiliations and Community Activities:
•Member, Canadian Bar Association
•Member, Calgary Chamber of Commerce
•Past Director, Human Resources Association of Calgary
You should not send any sensitive or confidential information through this site. Emails sent through this site do not create an attorney-client relationship and may not be treated as privileged or confidential. The lawyer or law firm you are contacting is not required to, and may choose not to, accept you as a client. The Internet is not necessarily secure and emails sent though this site could be intercepted or read by third parties.