Kent Howie is a lawyer and a chartered accountant who began his career as a tax lawyer, but who now practises corporate commercial law in our Calgary Office. Kent acts for a broad range of clients in the energy and electricity sectors, with a particular focus on the development of new, or the acquisition of existing, energy and electricity projects. He has experience advising clients on legal matters related to liquefied natural gas, oil sands, natural gas storage, refinery/upgrader, pipeline and offshore oil projects. He has also acted as lead counsel with respect to a number of electricity projects, including large hydro, coal, natural gas, solar, wind and geothermal projects in various parts of Canada.
Publications & Presentations
Listen to the podcast
Kent is the editor and a contributor to Alberta Power Market . This blog is authored by a team of BLG lawyers in Calgary who regularly work in the Alberta Electricity Market. It is a multi-disciplinary group that covers not only corporate and commercial law, but also brings together the required specialty areas, like regulatory, real estate, environmental, construction, financing and First Nations.
• Co-Author, Ready, Set, Go: Alberta’s Renewable Electricity Procurement Begins, The Resource: BLG Energy Blog, April 3, 2017 .
• Co-Author, Designing Alberta’s New Electricity Capacity Market: Work Begins but Much to be Done, BLG Publication, January 2017.
• Co-Author, 2016 Year in Review: Top 10 Legislative, Regulatory and Policy Changes and Trends of Import to the Canadian Energy Industry, The Resource: BLG Energy Blog, January 2017.
• Co-Author, Alberta to Cap Electricity Rates and Bring in a Capacity Market, BLG Publication, November 2016.
• Co-Author, Alberta's First Competitive Power Procurement Begins, BLG Publication, November 2016.
• Co-Author, Alberta Announces the Terms for its Initial 400 MW Renewable Electricity Procurement, The Resource: BLG Energy Blog, November 4, 2016.
• Co-Author, New Opportunities in the Alberta Electricity Market - An Overview, BLG Publication, October 2016.
• Instructor, Alberta Power Markets 101, Industry Workshop EUCI, September 2016.
• Co-Author, Alberta's New Climate Change Strategy: What Does It Mean For Renewable Power Development in the Province Lexology, November 26, 2015.
• Co-Author, Big Changes Coming to Alberta’s Electricity Market - The Winners and Losers, The Resource: BLG Energy Blog, November 26, 2015.
• Co-Author, Alberta Premier Notley Tips her Climate Change Hand, The Resource: BLG Energy Blog, November 16, 2015.
• Author/Speaker, “ Energy Superpower in Waiting: New Pipeline Development in Canada, Social Licence and Regulatory Reform,” Canada Energy Law Foundation’s Jasper Seminar / Alberta Law Review’s Petroleum Law Edition, 2015.
Rankings & Recognitions
• Recognized in the 2018 and 2015 to 2013 editions of The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (Corporate Mid-Market, Private Equity).
• Recognized in the 2016, 2015 and 2014 Lexpert /Report on Business Special Edition on Energy.
• Recognized as a leading infrastructure lawyer in the 2013 Lexpert Special Edition on Infrastructure.
(Also at Ottawa, ON Office)
•Member, Law Society of Alberta
•Member, Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants
•Member, Alberta Institute of Chartered Accountants
You should not send any sensitive or confidential information through this site. Emails sent through this site do not create an attorney-client relationship and may not be treated as privileged or confidential. The lawyer or law firm you are contacting is not required to, and may choose not to, accept you as a client. The Internet is not necessarily secure and emails sent though this site could be intercepted or read by third parties.