- 4.5/5.0 (3 reviews)
Kent Kufeldt is the National Practice Group Leader of BLG's Securities and Capital Markets Group. Kent focuses his practice on public issuers and underwriters in public and private debt and equity financings, initial public offerings, and cross-border financing transactions, and is recognized as a leading lawyer in these areas of law by the foremost legal rankings publications. He has significant experience with merger, acquisition and reorganization transactions (both public and private), acting for both acquiring companies and target companies in respect of hostile take-overs and negotiated acquisitions, and is also recognized as a leading lawyer in these areas of law.
As well, Kent has been involved in a number of innovative transactions, including acting as counsel to the issuer in respect of the first “ new generation” royalty trusts. He was counsel in the first corporate-to-trust conversion, and counsel to the trustee in connection with the first hostile take-over of a trust.
Prior to joining BLG, Kent practised for over 20 years with a large international firm and was Chair of its Securities Group.
Publications & Presentations
• Co-Author, Quebec Court of Appeal Rejects Several Aspects of Pan-Canadian Securities Regime, BLG Securities and Capital Markets Bulletin, May 2017.
• Co-Author, Firms in Regulatory Purgatory over Takeover Changes, The Lawyers Weekly, March 2016.
• Co-Author, Top 10 Legal Risks for Business in 2016: Regulatory Purgatory will Impact Business Decisions, BLG Publication, January 2016.
• Co-Author, 60-day bid, 120-day pill, 90-day decision: a sign of further change to come, International Law Office, December 2015.
• Co-Author, A Closer Look at Malaysia, Business in Vancouver, Asia Pacific, May 21-27, 2013.
• Instructor, Canadian Securities Regulation Course, Insight Information, 2012.
• Speaker, Mergers & Acquisitions Conference, Insight Information, 2011.
• Speaker, Intensive Course in Securities Law and Practice, Canadian Institute Conference, 2011.
• Speaker, “ Mining Law 2011,” Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia (CLE BC) Conference, 2011.
• Speaker, Canadian Bar Association Business Subsection, 2011.
• Author, “ Major Trends in the Western Canadian Energy Industry in 2010 and Outlook for 2011,” paper for Financier Worldwide - Global Reference Guide - Energy and Utilities, 2011.
• Speaker, Mergers & Acquisitions Conference, Insight Information, 2009.
• Speaker, Income and Royalty Trust Conference, Insight Information, 2004.
• Speaker, “ Mergers & Acquisitions - Leading Players - Leading Deals,” Insight Information Conference, 2001.
Rankings & Recognitions
• Recognized in the 2018 edition of the Lexpert /ROB Special Edition - Canada's Leading Corporate Lawyers.
• Recognized in the 2018 edition of The Lexpert /American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada (Corporate Mid-Market).
• Recognized as a leading energy lawyer in the 2017, 2015, 2014 and 2013 editions of the Lexpert /Report on Business Special Edition on Energy.
• Recognized in the 2017 edition of The Lexpert /American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada (Corporate Mid-Market).
• Recognized in the 2016 edition of the Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada (Corporate Finance & Securities ).
• Recognized as a leading corporate lawyer in the 2017 edition of the Lexpert/Report on Business Corporate Special Edition.
• Recognized as the 2016 Vancouver Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law Lawyer of the Year and the 2014 Calgary Securities Law Lawyer of the Year by The Best Lawyers in Canada .
• Selected by peers for inclusion in the 2018 edition (and since 2006) of The Best Lawyers in Canada (Corporate Law, Leveraged Buyout and Private Equity Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, Securities Law).
• Recommended in the 2016 edition of the Legal 500 Canada (Energy, Oil & Gas).
• Recognized in the 2013 edition (and since 2009) of Chambers Global - The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business (Corporate/M&A).
• Recognized in the 2018 edition (and since 2004) of The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (Corporate Finance & Securities, Corporate Mid-Market, Energy: Oil & Gas, Mergers & Acquisitions, Private Equity). and in the 2004-2018 editions (Corporate Commercial Law).
• Recognized in the 2012 edition (and since 2008) of The Lexpert /American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada (Corporate Finance & Securities).
• Recognized in the 2016 edition (and since 2011) of The Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada (Corporate Finance & Securities).
• Martindale-Hubbell BV Distinguished 4.4 out of 5 Peer Review Rated.
• Director, Vancouver Section of the Hong-Kong Canada Business Association
• Co-Chair, BLG United Way Campaign, 2012
(Also at Vancouver, BC Office)
•Member, Canadian Bar Association
•Member, Calgary Bar Association and Vancouver Bar Association
•Member, Law Society of Alberta and Law Society of British Columbia
•Member, International Bar Association, American Bar Association and Inter-Pacific Bar Association
•Member, Association for Corporate Growth (Vancouver chapter)
•Director, Vancouver Section of the Hong-Kong Canada Business Association
•Co-Chair, BLG United Way Campaign, 2012
You should not send any sensitive or confidential information through this site. Emails sent through this site do not create an attorney-client relationship and may not be treated as privileged or confidential. The lawyer or law firm you are contacting is not required to, and may choose not to, accept you as a client. The Internet is not necessarily secure and emails sent though this site could be intercepted or read by third parties.