Marlena Bova is an associate in our Calgary office. She practises in the areas of construction, engineering, surety and fidelity, with an emphasis on construction and commercial litigation. Marlena has experience in contractor liability and builder's liens, as well as insurance matters related to the construction industry including course-of-construction, product, and wrap-up liability. Marlena has acted for owners, insurance companies, developers/contractors, subcontractors, architect and engineering consultants in various matters, including general liability and commercial liability.
Marlena has appeared before the Provincial Court of Alberta, the Alberta Court of Queen's Bench, and arbitral tribunals in various jurisdictions. She has also acted in Judicial Review applications of Veteran's Review and Appeal Board decisions to appear before the Federal Court of Canada.
•Director, Keys to Recovery Society of Calgary?
•Director, WINK (Women Investing in Knowledge)
•Volunteer, BLG Reads to Kids
•Volunteer, Pro Bono Law Alberta
•Volunteer, Queen's Bench Amicus Court Assistance Program
•Volunteer, Provincial Court Civil Claims Duty Counsel
Publications & Presentations
•Co-Author, Time to be diligent - Alberta Court limits lien rights and bolsters protection to owners ?, The Resource: BLG Energy Blog, September 21, 2016.?
•Contributor, “Bid-Evalution/Selection Methods,” Federated Press 5th Public Construction Contracting and Tendering Course, October, 2014.
•Co-Author, “Predictive Coding: The Effective Use of Technology for the Preservation and Presentation of Documents in construction Trials and Arbitration”, Canadian College of Construction Lawyers, May 2015.
• Member, Canadian Bar Association
• Member, Canadain Bar Association Construction Group
• Member, Law Society of Alberta
• Member, Law Society of Saskatchewan
• Member, Calgary Bar Association
• Member, The Advocates' Society
• Director, Keys to Recovery Society of Calgary?
• Volunteer, BLG Reads to Kids
• Volunteer, Pro Bono Law Alberta
• Volunteer, Children's Legal & Educational Resource Centre (CLERC)
• Volunteer, Queen's Bench Amicus Court Assistance Program
• Volunteer, Provincial Court Civil Claims Duty Counsel