Matthew is a partner in the Calgary office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP, and is a member of our commercial litigation group. His practice focuses on complex securities litigation, class actions, commercial and shareholder disputes.
Matthew regularly represents investment and real estate industries professionals in civil proceedings, and acts as lead counsel for large corporations in front of industry tribunals, including the Law Society of Alberta, the Mutual Fund Dealers Association, Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC), the Alberta Securities Commission, and the Real Estate Council of Alberta. He has been involved in significant arbitral proceedings, including those in the electricity and real estate development industries, and general corporate/commercial matters.
Matthew also represents real estate developers and investment professionals in complex class actions.
• Acted as counsel on one of the largest market manipulation matters in Canada
• Acted as counsel to a Calgary businessman charged with insider training, which resulted in an acquittal.
• Acted as counsel on arbitral matters involving Power Purchase Arrangements where millions of dollars were at issue.
• Successfully represented a client during arbitration on a matter involving rights under a Land Purchase Agreement worth over $25 million.
• Advise in-house counsel in matters arising from insider trading allegations.
• Successfully defended a client in class action proceedings in which claims over $50 million were made.
• Advises both Exempt Market Dealers and IIROC member firms on matters of compliance, and provides counsel on regulatory investigations and civil litigation.
Rankings & Recognitions
• Recognized in 2016 and 2015 by Alberta Benchmark Rating as a Litigation Star (Securities).
• Recognized in 2014 by Alberta Benchmark Rating as a Future Litigation Star.
• Recognized in 2013 by Lexpert® as a "Repeatedly Recommended" Leading Practitioner, Litigation - Securities.
• Recognized in 2011 in the Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory as a Leading Practitioner in Securities Litigation.
• Member, Canadian Bar Association
• Member, Law Society of Alberta
• Member, Calgary Bar Association
• Member of the Board of Directors of the National Exempt Market Association