James D. Cottrell has been practicing law in Urbana, IL for more than 25 years. His broad-spectrum practice covers many areas of law, including business and corporate law, estate planning and tax law, environmental and water rights law, municipal law, real estate law and civil litigation. He is active in both the Illinois State Bar Association and the Champaign County Bar Association.
Attorney Cottrell demonstrates deep commitment to the environment and is well versed in agriculture and land use law. He has served on the Task Force of the Illinois Farm Bureau, as well as its Ad Hoc Committee for Law Reform and the Legislative Committee. He has published many articles dealing with land use and environmental law issues.
James Cottrell handles personal injury and workers compensation cases on contingency, meaning you pay no attorney's fees unless he recovers for you.
- Champaign County Bar Association
- Illinois Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association, Council Member, Agricultural Law (1998-1999)
- Illinois State Bar Association, Council Member, Local Government Law (1994-1995)
- Illinois Farm Bureau, Ad Hoc Committee for Law Reform (1993-1996)
- Illinois Farm Bureau, Legislative Committee (1992-1994)
- Martindale Hubbell BV rating
- Illinois Leading Lawyers Association
- Phebus, Tummelson, Bryan & Knox, Urbana, Illinois, 1983-1989
- Dobbins, Fraker, Tennant, Joy & Perlstein, Champaign, Illinois, 1989-2008
- Tepper, Mann & Cottrell, Urbana, Illinois, 2008-2013
- James D. Cottrell Law Office, P.C. 2013- present
- Contributor, Task Force Report, Illinois Farm Bureau, 1998
- The Clean Water Act and the Tullock Rule. Illinois State Bar Association, Agricultural Law, April 1999
- A Survey of Federal Conservation Programs. Illinois State Bar Association, Agricultural Law, November 1999
- Protection of USDA Benefits. Illinois State Bar Association, Agricultural Law. November 1999
- “Merchandising Claimants Entitled to 85% of Claim upon Liquidation of Elevator Assets,” ISBA, Agricultural Law. August 2000
- Environmental Law chapter, IICLE Publication, Illinois Law and Agribusiness 2001, Supplement 2005
- Water Rights Chapter, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education Publications, Illinois Law and Agribusiness, 2001; Supplement 2005
- Water and Riparian Rights Chapter, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education Publications, Causes of Action: Estates, Business and Non-Personal Injury Actions 2002; supplement 2005