Areas of Practice
A large portion of Mr. Poell's practice is devoted to defending companies against class and individual actions brought under various state and federal consumer protection statutes, including the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) and the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACTA), as well as other consumer-privacy and unfair business practices laws and regulations. He also advises companies regarding privacy and direct-marketing matters, such as drafting privacy policies and providing guidance on compliance with FCC, FTC and state-specific rules and regulations.
Mr. Poell also has experience in the appellate litigation and is well-versed in matters involving Constitutional standing questions and the scope of federal jurisdiction.
Additionally, Mr. Poell provides assistance to the Intellectual Property practice group in the area of patent infringement litigation.
Represented prisoner in Eighth Amendment excessive force trial in the Eastern District of Missouri.
•Illinois Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2016, 2017
•Helen Hritzu Award for Excellence in Classical Arabic Studies (University of Notre Dame)
•Honored by Chicago Transportation Authority for Act of Heroism
•Credit Card Theft Plaintiffs Discover Warm Home After 7th Circuit Rulings
Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, April 28, 2016
•When is an 'injury' not really an injury? Article III and statutory standing, a comment on Spokeo, Inc. v. Robins No. 13-1339 (U.S. OT 2015)
Inside Counsel, November 10, 2015
Class Action Defense Strategy Blog Posts
• Mooting Class Actions by Offer of Judgment - Episode 2: The Ninth Circuit Strikes Back, April 22, 2016
• Not Taking “Yes” For An Answer: U.S. Supreme Court Rules That Unaccepted Offer Of Complete Individual Relief Does Not Moot Plaintiff's Individual Or Class Action Claim, January 20, 2016
• The Pitfalls of Ascertaining Ascertainability: Seventh Circuit Declines to Adopt Heightened Threshold Requirement for Class Actions, August 6, 2015
• Seventh Circuit Affirms Lodestar Method to Determine Attorneys' Fees in TCPA Class Action Settlement, April 9, 2014, reprinted in the News Blog for the National Association of Legal Fee Analysis, April 10, 2014
• Third and Seventh Circuit Courts of Appeals Issue TCPA Decisions, September 5, 2013
•7th Circ. Robocall Ruling To Pad Already Swelling Docket
Law360, November 27, 2013
•American Bar Association
•Chicago Bar Association