Safe, sane and responsible steps towards debt relief
If you've lost your job, are unable to work, suffered a business setback or simply don't have the money to pay your bills, don't hesitate to ask for help. The sooner you act, the sooner you can start to breathe freely again.
- Stop Foreclosure. Save Your Home. - Filing for bankruptcy can prevent mortgage lenders from pursuing foreclosure on your home. Under Chapter 13 bankruptcy, debt can be reorganized into a manageable repayment plan, which can lower your monthly mortgage payment and allow you to keep your home.
- Stop Repossession. Get Your Car or Truck Back. Lower Your Payment. - Filing for bankruptcy gives you automatic stay protection, which prevents repossession agents from taking your vehicle. If you act quickly, bankruptcy can even get your repossessed car or truck back - and at a lower monthly payment.
- Stop Wage Garnishment. - Garnishment is a court order that forces your employer to withhold a portion of your paycheck - up to 25% of your after-tax pay, and deliver that money to a creditor. You lose the ability to decide how to spend your pay, and your employer learns way too much about your financial hardship. Bankruptcy takes that garnishment off your check, saving you from the inconvenience and embarrassment.
- Stop Credit Card Debt. Repair Your Credit. - As your debt-to-income ratio increases, your credit score decreases. In response, lenders react with increased interest rates and tightening your credit. Filing for bankruptcy can actually reverse this trend, as you begin to take the necessary steps to repair your credit.
- Stop Creditor Harassment. - By filing for Chapter 7 or Chapter 13, the bankruptcy court provides you automatic stay protection. After this action is taken, creditors can't contact you directly and can only attempt to collect on your debts through the bankruptcy court. The automatic stay effectively stops harassing phone calls and other collection tactics. If creditors ignore this court order, you may be able to pursue a lawsuit against them for damages!
- Keep Your Possessions. - Many people think that filing for bankruptcy forces you to sell everything you own. Nothing could be further from the truth. Bankruptcy helps you retain important items including your house, your vehicle, your retirement plan - even your cash.
- Learn the Truth about Loan Modification. - Loan modification promises relief but rarely provides it. Why? Mortgage payments rarely are the reason homeowners can't stay current. Other household debts, particularly credit card debt, is to blame for most foreclosures. When other obligations complicate your issues with debt, lenders rarely offer modifications. Homeowners who take the modification are still often unable to continue making regular payments. A DebtStoppers Chapter 13 allows you to prioritize your mortgage and can help with discharging additional debt.
The bankruptcy lawyers at DebtStoppers in Chicago can help you move from financial distress to the peace of mind you deserve. To learn about the life-changing power of bankruptcy, contact our office TODAY. For a FREE, no obligation consultation, call 312-913-0630.
Specific Areas of Practice for our Chicago office:
You should not send any sensitive or confidential information through this site. Emails sent through this site do not create an attorney-client relationship and may not be treated as privileged or confidential. The lawyer or law firm you are contacting is not required to, and may choose not to, accept you as a client. The Internet is not necessarily secure and emails sent though this site could be intercepted or read by third parties.