Mr. Davidson also counsels organizations and individuals with regard to tax-exemption matters. His practice involves qualification of organizations as tax-exempt entities under Code Section 501(c)(3) and registration as not-for-profit entities under state laws. Additional consulting is provided with regard to operational issues, including reorganizations, mergers, successorship and dissolution.
Mr. Davidson is a member of the Employee Benefits Committee as well as former chair of Division D (Compensation and Benefits) of the Federal Taxation Committee of the Chicago Bar Association. He is also a member of the American Bar Association, the National Association of Stock Plan Professionals and former chair of the Employee Benefits Committee of the Illinois CPA Society. He has authored several articles on the subject of retirement and pension plans. A certified public accountant, he is a graduate of The John Marshall Law School (LL.M., taxation, 1979; J.D., 1975) and a graduate of the University of Illinois.
•Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 1999-present
•Holleb & Coff, Chicago, Illinois
- Partner, 1984-1999
•Aaron, Schimberg, Hess and Gilbert, Chicago, Illinois
- Associate, 1983-1984
•Gordon & Glickson, Chicago, Illinois
- Partner, 1981-1983
- Associate, 1975-1981
Honors and Awards
•Illinois Super Lawyers, 2005, 2012-2016
•AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
• What to Do Now About the ERISA Fiduciary Rule, LinkedIn, April 4, 2018
•Author, New Disability Claims Procedure Regulations Take Effect on April 1, 2018,; Duane Morris Alert, March 14, 2018
• US DOL New Fiduciary Regulations Became Effective June 9, 2017, LinkedIn, July 6, 2017
•Quoted in Chicago's Big Employers Say Domestic Partners Need Not Wed for Benefits, Crain's Chicago Business, June 26, 2015
•Co-author, Stimulus Bill Includes Significant COBRA Changes, Duane Morris Alert, February 20, 2009
•Co-author, Bailout Legislation Contains Key Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act, Duane Morris Alert, October 9, 2008
•Co-author, Section 409A Compliance Deadline Fast Approaching, Duane Morris Alert, September 29, 2008
• Aspirin for Retirement Plan Headaches, California Lawyer, August 2002
• New Tax Law Provides Opportunity for Greater Savings in Retirement Plans, Los Angeles Daily Journal, April 1, 2002
• Fiduciary Responsibility and Prohibited Transactions, Employee Benefits Law Handbook, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 1994; supplement 1997.
• Don't Wait for the IRS to Audit Your Qualified Plans: Settle Up With Them Now, Insight, publication of the Illinois CPA Society, August 1994.
• Curing Health Care Ills, Insight, publication of the Illinois CPA Society, February/March 1993.
• Pension Plans Hurt By The Recession, Insight, publication of the Illinois CPA Society, July 1, 1992.
Selected Speaking Engagements
•Speaker, Duane Morris' Developments in Workplace Law and Practice, Chicago, May 24, 2017
•Speaker, Duane Morris' Developments in Workplace Law and Practice, Washington DC, May 18, 2017
•Speaker, Duane Morris' Developments in Workplace Law and Practice, New York, May 4, 2017
• What HR Executives Need to Know Before Renewing Their Company's Health Care Plan for 2012, ExecSense Webinar, September 23, 2011
• What CEOs Need to Know Before Renewing Their Company's Health Care Plan, ExecSense Webinar, March 8, 2011
• What CEOs Need to Know Before Renewing Their Company's Health Care Plan, ExecSense Webinar, September 8, 2010
•Speaker, Duane Morris' Developments in Workplace Law & Practice 2010, New York, May 12, 2010
•Speaker, Healthcare Reform: What You Need to Know Now, Duane Morris' Developments in Workplace Law and Practice 2010, Chicago, May 4, 2010
• Wellness Programs and Flexible Benefit Plan Developments, Lorman Seminar, Naperville, Illinois, August 28, 2008
• What the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act (GINA) Will Mean for Corporate Wellness Programs, ExecSense webinar, September 25, 2009
• Pension Protection Act of 2006, Strafford Publications, Inc., Chicago, November 2, 2006
• The New SEC Executive Compensation Disclosure Rules, Strafford Publications, Inc., Chicago, October 10, 2006
• Executive Compensation Under IRS, SEC Scrutiny, Strafford Publications, Inc., Chicago, March 9, 2006
• Split Dollar Insurance and Pension Blackout Periods, National Association of Stock Plan Professionals, Chicago, Illinois, May 2003
• Developments in Fiduciary Liability, Professional Liability Underwriters' Society Annual Conference, Chicago, Illinois, November 2001
• Compensation Strategies for Attracting and Retaining Key Employees, sponsored by the Private Business Roundtable, Oakbrook, Illinois, May 15, 2001
• Positive Part of Negative Enrollment in a 401(k) Plan, Investors Press 2000 DC Visionary Roundtable, Chicago, Illinois, June 27, 2000
• The Legal Aspects of Paperless Technology for Flexible Benefit Plans,
•Administrative Management Group sponsored by the Forum on Technology and Employee Benefits, Chicago, Illinois, March 8, 2000
• Employee Benefit Changes Under the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997, Federal Tax Committee, Chicago Bar Association, September 23, 1998.
• Acquisitions and Divestitures, Enrolled Actuaries Meeting, co-sponsored by American Academy of Actuaries, Conference of Consulting Actuaries and the Society of Actuaries, March 18, 1997.
• Civil Actions Against Nonfiduciaries, Midstates Benefits Conference, April 23, 1996; American Society of Pension Actuaries, July 16, 1996
• Developments in Prohibited Transactions, Law Education Institute and Bureau of National Affairs, January 11, 1996.
• ERISA Fiduciary Duties, Law Education Institute and Bureau of National Affairs, January 10, 1996.
• Controlled and Affiliated Service Groups, Illinois CPA Society Employee Benefits Conference, May 16, 1995.
• Prohibited Transactions Update: Keystone and Other Developments, Law Education Institute and Bureau of National Affairs, January 3, 1995.
• Voluntary Compliance Resolution Program, Illinois CPA Society Employee Benefits Conference, May 3, 1994 and June 1, 1994.
• The Appeals Process, Midwest Region Employee Benefits Conference, April 26, 1994.
• Section 410(b) and Compensation Definitions, Midwest Region Employee Benefits Conference, March 23, 1993.
• The Proper Mix of Employee Benefits in the 90s, Illinois CPA Society Midwest Accounting Show, May 21, 1992.
• Fiduciary Responsibility and Prohibited Transactions, Enrolled Actuaries Meeting, co-sponsored by American Academy of Actuaries, Conference of Consulting Actuaries and the Society of Actuaries, March 10, 1993.
• Controlled Groups and Affiliated Service Organization, Enrolled Actuaries Meeting, co-sponsored by American Academy of Actuaries, Conference of Consulting Actuaries and the Society of Actuaries, March 19, 1992.
•Speaker, Duane Morris' Developments in Workplace Law & Practice 2010, Washington, D.C., May 11, 2010
•American Bar Association
•Certified Public Accountant, Illinois, 1975
•The Chicago Bar Association
- Federal Taxation Committee
-- Former Chair, Division D (Compensation and Benefits)
- Employee Benefits Committee
•Illinois CPA Society
- Former Chair, Employee Benefits Committee
•National Association of Stock Plan Professionals
•National Center for Employee Ownership
You should not send any sensitive or confidential information through this site. Emails sent through this site do not create an attorney-client relationship and may not be treated as privileged or confidential. The lawyer or law firm you are contacting is not required to, and may choose not to, accept you as a client. The Internet is not necessarily secure and emails sent though this site could be intercepted or read by third parties.