- Responding to Dawn Raids: Search Warrants and Morning Coffee?
- September 12, 2006 | Author: Rebekah J. Poston
- Law Firm: Squire, Sanders & Dempsey L.L.P. - Miami Office
Martindale-Hubbell posed the following question to provide a variety of views on this important topic:
How can counsel make certain the company is prepared in the event of a dawn raid?
A dawn raid is exactly as it’s portrayed on television, except worse. It can be terrifying for employees. Companies should engage outside counsel to prepare procedures ahead of time.
If agents arrive with a search warrant:
• Secure the immediate assistance of a criminal defense attorney;
• Advise agent in charge on site you are sending nonessential personnel home. If he objects, make note of that fact; and
• The manager or employee in charge of handling such an event should take notes of what is occurring and provide those notes to criminal counsel.