Chris Carr, a former general counsel for a publicly-traded company, has practiced law in Dallas, Texas since 1994, representing some of the same clients for more than twenty years. He takes pride in helping clients accomplish goals and solve legal problems successfully and efficiently.
He provides corporate, transactional and litigation services in the following industries:
- Chemical, environmental and recycling services
- Hospital, healthcare and medical devices
- Construction and transportation
- IT and software consulting
- News media
Corporate And Transactional Experience
Mr. Carr represents clients through mergers, sales and acquisitions, advises start-ups, creates and expands business entities, assists clients with corporate governance, risk management and legal compliance, and negotiates and reviews contracts and leases. His corporate and transactional experience includes:
- Representation of technology companies in corporate or asset sales or acquisitions for cash and the exchange of securities. Advise management and executive group regarding compliance with associated duties.
- Representation of media companies in the purchase and sale of print and radio media assets.
- Represent business owners regarding corporate formation and create legal structures designed to maximize brand, prepare for ultimate liquidity event, and appropriately minimize risk.
- Review and negotiate contracts, real estate leases, and employment and executive employment agreements.
- Refinancing of corporate assets and amendment of all related lending and corporate documents.
- Handled sale of large, geographically disparate corporate division of public company.
- As General Counsel, led client's sale process, including due diligence and deal negotiation, resulting in client’s merger and ownership transition.
Mr. Carr has appeared in state and federal courts across the country, and in numerous arbitration proceedings. He employs aggressive and creative strategies designed to achieve the best possible results in the following types of disputes:
- Product liability and negligence
- Partnership, shareholder and employee conflicts
- Breach of contract
- Officer and director liability
- Property disputes
- Prevailed and recovered attorneys' fees in arbitration proceeding involving commercial dispute in which the claimant alleged breaches of various contracts, as well as fraud, and sought damages exceeding $7 million.
- Successfully tried trademark infringement and breach of contract state court case in which opposing party sought permanent injunction preventing client's use of a service mark and trade name.
- Successfully tried state court case involving bad faith retention of a security deposit by a landlord wherein client was awarded actual damages, statutory treble damages, and attorneys' fees.
- Obtained multi-million dollar judgment in trial of a bankruptcy adversary proceeding involving officer and director liability and breach of fiduciary duty with regard to the management of a public company.
- Represented Swiss bank in arbitration proceeding in which opposing party sought nearly two million dollars in damages but recovered less than $200,000.
- Defended contractual arbitration claims to a take nothing award in a seven-day arbitration proceeding when identical claims were the subject of a claimant's award in a previous and nearly identical hearing involving a different law firm.
- Conducted case planning, discovery, pretrial briefing, oral argument, and witness and case preparation for successful state court jury trial resulting in over $400 million verdict in fraud, tortious interference with contracts, and prospective business relation and civil conspiracy case. The judgment was later overturned on appeal.
- Satisfactorily obtained resolution by settlement of numerous (100+) disputes for plaintiffs and defendants.
Awards and Distinctions
- Texas Tech Law Review (1992 - 1994) and Note Editor (1993 – 1994)
- Recipient, American Jurisprudence Awards in Torts, Contracts, Criminal Law and Public International Law
- Texas Monthly "Super Lawyer" (2005 - 2016)
You should not send any sensitive or confidential information through this site. Emails sent through this site do not create an attorney-client relationship and may not be treated as privileged or confidential. The lawyer or law firm you are contacting is not required to, and may choose not to, accept you as a client. The Internet is not necessarily secure and emails sent though this site could be intercepted or read by third parties.