During virtually his entire career, Reid has specialized in corporate, securities and business matters for public and private companies, pooled investment funds, entrepreneurs, broker-dealers and investment advisers. He has extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions, public offerings (for both underwriters and issuers), private placements, and SEC compliance and enforcement. Reid also advises board members in internal investigations and on the sale of corporate control.
Much of Reid's experience over his 32 years with Jones & Keller has been representation of issuers and underwriters in public and private offerings in several industries including energy, insurance, technology, community banking, and pooled investment vehicles including private equity funds, hedge funds and mutual funds. He has been recognized for several years as a Best Lawyer in America® for securities law, private funds law, and mutual funds law, and as a Colorado Super Lawyer® in securities and corporate finance law. Reid was recently selected by his peers as 2012 Best Lawyers®, Lawyer of the Year in Securities/Capital Markets - Denver.
Public Offerings of Securities and Private Placements
- Issuer's counsel for $154 million public offering of an oil and gas company (2011).
- Issuer's counsel for $31 million public offering of an oil and gas company (2009).
- Purchaser's counsel on more than $600 million of interests in over 85 private equity funds (2003-2012).
- Purchaser's counsel to institutional investor with respect to over $400 million in interests in over 30 hedge funds (2009-2012).
- Purchaser's counsel relating to numerous high technology multimillion dollar venture capital investments (2003-2012), including optical, e-business portals, water filtration, electrostatic manufacturing equipment, wireless video networking, data online management, advanced broadband wireless access, medical instrumentation, electronic design construction software, and radio frequency identification development.
- Issuer's counsel for $34.5 million PIPE -oil and gas company (2008).
- Issuer's counsel for $125 million public offering of an insurance holding company (2007).
- Issuer's counsel for numerous hedge funds and private equity funds (1995-2012).
- Issuer's counsel for $30 million in private placements of common stock of a bank holding company (2004-2007).
- Issuer's counsel for $20 million in PIPE transactions (2004-2005).
- Led internal investigation on behalf of Audit Committee of Fortune 500 company.
- Led internal investigations by boards of directors of public companies (2004-2006).
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Completion of $1 billion oil and gas company merger with SEC registered stock and cash (2012).
- Completion of sale of field services company (2011).
- Completion of sale of retail distribution company (2011).
- Completion of combination of two public oil and gas companies (2011).
- Completion of insurance company acquisition (2011).
- Completion of management led LBO of a medical practice billing company (2009).
- Completion of a $110 million merger of a publicly traded oil & gas company and two private companies (2007).
- Completion of $465 million sale of a publicly traded oil & gas company (2005).
- Completion of sale of a regional broker-dealer company (2005).
- Completion of $85 million cash acquisition of an insurance company (2004).
- Completion of several acquisitions of life insurance companies as well as completion of registered public stock offerings in connection with the transactions (1995-2005).
- Completion of the sale of a bank holding company with assets of $1 billion to a public bank holding company in exchange for SEC registered stock (2001).
Honors / Distinctions
- Best Lawyers®, Lawyer of the Year, Securities/Capital Markets Law (2012, Denver)
- Best Lawyers® - Mutual Funds Law (2007-2012)
- Best Lawyers® - Private Funds/Hedge Funds Law (2006-2012)
- Best Lawyers® - Securities/Capital Markets Law (2006-2012)
- Best Lawyers® - Securities Regulation (2011-2012)
- Top 100 Colorado Super Lawyers (2012)
- Colorado Super Lawyers - Securities & Corporate (2006-2012)
- Colorado Super Lawyers, Business Edition - Securities & Corporate (2011-2012)
- Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Edition - Securities & Corporate (2009)
- Presenter and Panel Chairman - "Small Company Capitalization," 44th Annual Rocky Mountain Securities Conference, May 2012.
- Presenter and Panel Member - "Recent Developments in Corporate Finance," 43rd and 42nd Annual Rocky Mountain Securities Conference, May 2011 and 2010.
- Presenter - "Dodd-Frank Act - Securities Law Aspects," 20th Annual GHP SEC Reporting Conference, October 2010.
- Presenter and Panel Member - "Capital Raising," 41st Annual Rocky Mountain Securities Conference, May, 2009.
- "New SEC Executive Compensation and Related-Party Disclosure," 16th Annual GHP SEC Reporting Conference, October 2006.
- "Staying Atop the 8-K Tightrope - The Modern Highwire Act for SEC Reporting Companies," 37th Annual Rocky Mountain Securities Conference, May 2005.
- "Practical Suggestions for Audit Committee Members," 15th Annual GHP SEC Reporting Conference, October 2005.
- "Sarbanes-Oxley Act," 14th Annual GHP SEC Reporting Conference, October 2004.
- Co-Author, "Negotiating and Drafting Acquisition Agreements in Colorado," National Business Institute, January 2004.
- Program Chair, "2002 Colorado Hedge Fund Symposium - Formation, Operation and Management."
- "Registration, Regulation, and Compliance for Investment Advisers," Cascade Financial Management, Inc. Private Client Wealth Management CPA Continuing Education Course, May 31, 2002.
- "Securities Offering Liability Revisited - Officers and Directors," 34th Annual Rocky Mountain Securities Conference, May 17, 2002.
- "Liability of Financial Officers in Securities Offerings - A Primer," Financial Executives International, October 10, 2001.
- "Conducting An Internal Investigation - A Primer For Securities Practitioners," Securities Subsection Luncheon Business Law Section - Colorado Bar Association, April 20, 2000.
- "Saving Time And Money In The Going Public Process," Financing Public and Private Oil and Gas Companies.
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Member - Archdiocese of Denver Finance Council
- Colorado Bar Association (Chairman, Securities Law Subsection, 1992; member Council of Corporations, Banking and Business Law Section, 1993-94)
- Denver Bar Association
You should not send any sensitive or confidential information through this site. Emails sent through this site do not create an attorney-client relationship and may not be treated as privileged or confidential. The lawyer or law firm you are contacting is not required to, and may choose not to, accept you as a client. The Internet is not necessarily secure and emails sent though this site could be intercepted or read by third parties.