Clarissa has a diverse practice and doesn’t shy away from complex issues. She assists and represents corporations and individuals from various industries on matters including contractual disputes, professional liability, with a focus on defence work for financial advisors, accountants, and other professional services.
•J.D., University of Alberta (with Distinction)
•B.Sc., University of Alberta
•Represents corporations and individuals across various industries in negligence, breach of contract, and breach of fiduciary duty litigation.
•Member of legal team providing advice to counsel to the auditors of Poseidon Concepts Corp. in a shareholder class action claim in Alberta for $650 million, as well as related actions filed in Alberta, Ontario, Quebec and New York.
•Member of legal team assisting a big-four accounting firm in connection with a regulatory investigation into a public company for which they provided forensic services to the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors.
•Represents financial institutions in obtaining judgement on defaulted loans.
•Represented a financial institution in successfully obtaining summary judgment arising from personal guarantees.
•Represented an Alberta brokerage in successfully obtaining summary judgment arising from unpaid invoices.
•Assists counsel with respect to expropriation matters.
•Assisted senior counsel in matters involving disputes arising from non-competition and non-solicitation agreements.
•Assisted senior counsel in representing an architectural firm in enforcing arbitration and mediation clause.
•Assists accountants and accounting firms in responding to inquiries from regulatory organizations.
•Member of a legal team who defended an IT firm in a class action involving the disclosure of private information.
Insurance & Risk Management
•Advises insurers with respect to liability and quantum for third party claims.
•Acts for professionals including investment advisors and engineers for claims relating to professional negligence.
•Represents a fidelity insurer with respect to a claim of employee dishonesty.
• Auditor Independence and Unpaid Fees , Graham McLennan, Q.C. and Clarissa Dhillon, McLennan Ross Legal Counsel Newsletter, 2016
• Settlement Finally Reached in Coopers & Lybrand Litigation , McLennan Ross E-Mail Alert
• Bullying Lawsuits Not Covered by Insurance , Clarissa Dhillon and David Nicol, McLennan Ross E-Mail Alert
• Chartered Professional Accountants Act in Force on July 1, 2015 , McLennan Ross E-Mail Alert
• Using the Companies Creditors Arrangement Act to Settle Class Actions: Lessons of Sino-Forest , Graham McLennan, Q.C., ICD.D and Clarissa Dhillon, Class Actions Forum West
• Expert Evidence: Passing the Acid Test of Independence and Impartiality , McLennan Ross E-Mail Alert
•“The Auditor's Response to Securities Commission Investigations”, Graham McLennan, Q.C., ICD.D and Clarissa Dhillon, McLennan Ross Legal Counsel Newsletter
• Alberta's Professional Accountants - One Step Closer to Unification , McLennan Ross E-Mail Alert
•“Canada: Dealing With Securities Commissions”, Graham McLennan, Q.C., ICD.D and Clarissa Dhillon, McLennan Ross Legal Counsel Newsletter
•“Ontario Court of Appeal Rules On Limitation Periods For Securities Class Actions ”, Graham McLennan, Q.C., ICD.D and Clarissa Dhillon, McLennan Ross E-Mail Alert
Professional Associations, Affiliations and Community Activities:
•Member, Canadian Bar Association
•Member, McLennan Ross United Way Committee
•Volunteer, Civil Claim Duty Counsel Project