•Represents and advises employers concerning a variety of workplace issues, such as termination, discipline, human rights, employment standards, workers’ compensation and occupational health & safety matters.
•Provides advice to employers on various dismissal issues, including establishing just cause to dismiss, reasonable severance pay, and strategies to avoid wrongful dismissal actions.
•Defends wrongful dismissal actions on behalf of employers and prosecutes such actions on behalf of employees.
•Advises employers on corporate reorganizations and severance claims resulting from mass layoffs; has negotiated the settlement of severance claims arising under CCAA proceedings.
•Represents and advises employers in respect to complaints before the Alberta Human Rights Commission involving a variety of issues, such as accommodation of disabled employees, sexual harassment and racial discrimination.
•Represents employers before grievance arbitration boards in disputes including employee terminations, suspensions, layoffs and management rights; in one such recent arbitration, Dan successfully defended the dismissal of a long-service employee for a serious safety violation.
•Represents and advises employers in respect to Employment Standards complaints and appeals.
•Represents and advises employers in matters before the Alberta Labour Relations Board, such as union certification and revocation applications, unfair labour practice complaints, strikes and lockouts, and successorship and common employer applications.
•Represents and advises employers in a variety of workers’ compensation matters (disputed WCB claims, classification and assessment disputes, cost relief applications, etc.) before the Workers’ Compensation Board and the Appeals Commission for Alberta Workers’ Compensation.
•Provides advice to employers in responding to serious workplace accidents and conducting occupational health and safety investigations.
•Represents and advises employers and contractors in defending occupational health and safety prosecutions, providing advice on due diligence and other preventative strategies (he has represented employers and contractors facing OHS charges in a number of workplace fatalities, including those resulting from workplace explosions, heavy equipment and machinery accidents, falls from heights, and electrocutions by contact with overhead power lines).
•Represents employers and other organizations on judicial review applications and appeals from grievance arbitration awards and the Alberta Labour Relations Board and Appeals Commission for Workers’ Compensation.
•Assists employers in developing and implementing drug and alcohol policies.
•Advises employers in drafting, implementation and application of employment agreements, independent contractor agreements, non-competition and confidentiality provisions, and general employment policies and practices.
• Keeping Marijuana Off The Job , McLennan Ross Webinar, 2017
• 2016 Labour & Employment Year in Review , McLennan Ross Seminar, 2017
• 2015 Labour & Employment Year in Review , McLennan Ross Seminar, 2016
• Mock Arbitration , McLennan Ross Duty to Accommodate Seminar & Mock Arbitration, 2015
• 2014 Labour & Employment Year in Review , McLennan Ross Seminar, 2015
• 2013 Labour & Employment Year in Review , McLennan Ross Seminar , 2014
• Duty to Accommodate , McLennan Ross Labour & Employment Full-Day Seminar, 2013
• OHS Due Diligence - A Case Study into Worker Error and Forseeability , NAOSH Speaker Conference, Edmonton
• Distinguishing Between True Contractors and Employees , Lorman - Employment Standards
•Past lecturer on Occupational Health & Safety legislation and Policy, University of Alberta, Faculty of Extension
• Bill 30 Receives Royal Assent David Myrol and Dan Bokenfohr, McLennan Ross E-Mail Alert, 2017
• Back to Basics: An Employee’s Duty to Mitigate in a Wrongful Dismissal , Sarah Levine and Dan Bokenfohr, McLennan Ross E-Mail Alert, 2016
• Severance Strategies in a Slumping Economy , McLennan Ross E-Mail Alert, 2016
•Dan frequently writes articles and presents seminars to industry on labour and employment, human rights, workers’ compensation and occupational health and safety issues.
Professional Associations, Affiliations and Community Activities:
•Member, Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers
•Member, Canadian Bar Association
•Labour and Employment Section
•Member, Advisory Board, Salvation Army Edmonton
•Former Board Member, Gateway Association for Community Living
You should not send any sensitive or confidential information through this site. Emails sent through this site do not create an attorney-client relationship and may not be treated as privileged or confidential. The lawyer or law firm you are contacting is not required to, and may choose not to, accept you as a client. The Internet is not necessarily secure and emails sent though this site could be intercepted or read by third parties.