Joel appears on matters in both the Provincial Court of Alberta and Alberta Court of Queen's bench, and has assisted on matters heard at the Alberta Court of Appeal.
Insurance & Risk Management
•Represents several national and international insurers in a number of different areas, including personal injury, property and product liability claims.
•Represents and advises individuals on issues relating to insurance coverage.
•Experience dealing with claims involving WCB issues.
•Experience negotiating favourable results through alternative dispute resolution.
Wills & Estates
•Assists executors and administrators in obtaining grants of probate or administration.
•Experience in drafting Wills, Personal Directives and Powers of Attorney.
•Experience in various estate litigation issues, including interpretation of testamentary documentation and unjust enrichment claims.
•Represents individuals and companies in a wide variety of matters, including contract claims, construction claims, negligence, and collections, in both the Provincial Court and Court of Queen's Bench.
•Represents parties in residential tenancy disputes, including hearings at the Residential Tenancy Dispute Board.
•Represents individuals and corporations in debt collection actions.
• Crime and Punishment - Punitive Damages Allowed Despite Criminal Sanctions , McLennan Ross E-Mail Alert
• Leave to Appeal Dismissed in Important Summary Judgment Decision , McLennan Ross E-Mail Alert
• Court Reaffirms The CCAA's Broad Purpose , McLennan Ross Legal Counsel Newsletter
• Angels and Demons: Dealing with Employee Aggression in the Workplace , James Lingwood and Joel Franz, McLennan Ross Legal Counsel Newsletter
• Tackling Family Status Accommodations in the Workplace , Dan Bokenfohr and Joel Franz, McLennan Ross Legal Counsel Newsletter
Professional Associations, Affiliations and Community Activities:
•Volunteer, Civil Claims Duty Counsel
•Former Volunteer, Student Legal Services
•Former Volunteer, Pro-bono Students Canada