Kathleen represents owners and contractors in various commercial disputes. She has experience with builders' and garage keepers' liens, and has successfully represented organizations with respect to ongoing payment issues. Kathleen also represents both individuals and corporations in property damage claims and regularly provides insurance coverage opinions.
Kathleen has appeared before the Alberta Provincial Court and Court of Queen’s Bench, and is acquainted with the rules and procedures of British Columbia.
•Assisting senior counsel in a large arbitration involving the construction of major municipal infrastructure project.
•Assisting senior counsel in representing a construction company with respect to builders’ liens matters and ongoing payment issues.
•Advises clients in registering and pursing builders’ liens.
•Assisting senior counsel in representing a municipality in a deficiency claim involving a public utility.
•Acts for homeowners in disputes with contactors.
•Represents contractors in various disputes including collecting unpaid invoices.
•Represents insurance companies defending constructions claims including errors and omissions, property damages and other related issues.
•Represents various insurers in personal injury claims involving motor vehicle accidents and slip and falls.
•Represents clients in collections matters including demand letters and statements of claim.
•Assisting senior counsel in defending occupational health and safety charges, and assists clients in investigating and responding to serious workplace incidents.
Presentations and Publications
• Understanding the Builders Liens Act , Edmonton Construction Association, 2017
• Construction Holdback Requirements - Not for Dummies , Corbin Devlin and Kathleen Garbutt, McLennan Ross Legal Counsel Newsletter, 2017
• The Duty to Defend: Clear Policy Exclusions Prevail , Jennifer Davis and Kathleen Garbutt, McLennan Ross E-Mail Alert, 2016
• Pollution Exclusions in Commercial General Liability Policies , Jennifer Davis and Kathleen Garbutt, Construction Business, 2015
• A Guide to Arbitration Clauses , Kathleen Garbutt and Bryan Kwan, McLennan Ross Legal Counsel Newsletter, 2015
Professional Associations, Affiliations and Community Activities
•Member, Canadian Transport Lawyers Association
•Member, Canadian Bar Association
•Civil Litigation Section
•Volunteer, Edmonton Classic Horse Show
•Volunteer, Pro Bono Law Alberta