Maurice's diverse background has provided him with a unique approach to practicing law. In 2014 Maurice was seconded to the Government of Alberta as an arbitration advisor, which allowed him to gain extensive knowledge when it comes to providing strategic advice regarding labour relations and arbitrations. Maurice has acted as employer counsel on labour arbitrations and also has experience acting as the employer nominee on arbitration panels.
Maurice has appeared at all levels of court in Alberta and has experience in front of the Labour Relations Board, the Human Rights Tribunal, Appeals Commission for Workers’ Compensation, and Employment Standards.
Maurice is a first-generation immigrant to Canada, born and raised in northern Germany and is fluent in German. In his spare time, Maurice enjoys spending time with his three children, music, and following his hopeless soccer club Hamburg SV in the Bundesliga.
Labour & Employment
Maurice represents and advises employers and employees concerning a variety of issues, such as termination, discipline, human rights, employment standards, workers’ compensation, labour arbitration, labour relations board matters and issues involving privacy and access to information. He also advises employers in the drafting, implementation and application of employment agreements, independent contractor agreements, and confidentiality provisions, and general employment policies and practices.
Maurice also has specialized experience dealing with non-competition issues in the employment context. Having acted as counsel on two precedential Alberta non-competition actions, Maurice has significant experience dealing with the enforcement of non-competition and non-solicitation agreements as well as fiduciary duties.
Some highlights of Maurice’s representative experience include:
•Acted for a hydrovac company with respect to defending an injunction application and related allegations regarding breaches of confidentially and non-competition clauses.
•Represented a granite company through the employment standards audit process with respect to claims that employees were not receiving vacation and holiday pay.
•Defending a not-for-profit organization in claims of a constructive dismissal on the basis of a toxic work environment.
•Acted for major construction companies in recovering a significant amount of funds fraudulently misappropriated from the employer.
•Assisted a company regarding a cyber-attack and extensive electronic forensic investigation regarding a privacy breach.
•Worked with senior counsel in successfully defending an injunction application by IBM Canada against a senior project manager in respect to the Alberta Electronic Health Records project. The matter was heard at the Court of Queen's Bench of Alberta as well as the Court of Appeal of Alberta .
•Acted as a nominee in various grievance arbitrations for the Government of Alberta.
•Representing companies in front of the Human Rights Tribunals of Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Ontario with respect to various issuing including discrimination based on religion, disability, gender, race, family status and sexuality.
•Assisted a major mining contracting in defending a union certification application.
Workers' Compensation Board
Maurice is one of the few Alberta employer counsel with extensive experience dealing with the Workers’ Compensation Board. Maurice routinely advises employers on case management issues and has effectively represented employers at all level of appeal in the WCB system and the Courts.
Some highlights of Maurice’s WCB experience include:
•Successfully represented a major construction company at the WCB appeals commission with respect to a key modified work policy issue.
•Provided organization restructuring advice to large employers to optimize their labour strategies and overall WCB experience.
• Fitness For Work: Ensuring a Safe Work Environment in an Era of Marijuana, Opioids, and Other Drugs , Lancaster House Annual Labour Arbitration and Policy Conference, 2017
• Medical Marijuana in the Workplace , Merit Contractors Association, 2016
• Practical Tax, Legal and Financial Advice for Established Dentists , Jasper Dental Congress: CDSPI Presentation, 2016
• 2015 Labour & Employment Year in Review Seminar , McLennan Ross, 2016
• Accommodating Mental Illness & Maintaining Discipline , McLennan Ross Duty to Accommodate Seminar & Mock Arbitration, 2015
• 2014 Labour & Employment Year in Review Seminar , McLennan Ross, 2015
• 2013 Labour & Employment Year in Review Seminar , McLennan Ross, 2014
• Duty to Accommodate , McLennan Ross Labour & Employment Full-Day Seminar, 2013
• Workplace Privacy and Human Rights in Alberta , Religious Accommodation in the Workplace Seminar, Lorman Education Services, 2013
• Repeat OHS Offender Sentenced to Jail Time in Nova Scotia , Canadian Occupational Safety Magazine, August/September 2016
• Coverage to be Mandatory on Alberta, P.E.I Farms , Canadian Occupational Safety Magazine, April/May 2016
• Who is Considered a ‘Worker’? , Canadian Occupational Safety Magazine, December/January 2016
• Reduce Premiums Through cost Relief , Canadian Occupational Safety Magazine, August/September 2015
• WCB Taking New View on Modified Work , Canadian Occupational Safety Magazine, April/May 2015
Professional Associations, Affiliations and Community Activities:
•Member, Canadian Bar Association
•Labour & Employment Section
•Member, Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers
•Member, Edmonton Chamber of Commerce Workforce Development Committee