- 3.0/5.0 (1)
Samantha also regularly advises clients on commercial opportunities to maximize the value of both traditional and intellectual property assets. She offers her clients expertise in information technology and intellectual property law, regularly advising on enterprise software acquisition, digital assets (domain names and web-based copyright), data management agreements, anti-spam legislation, intellectual property licensing programs and infringement disputes. Samantha is a Registered Trademark Agent with the Canadian Intellectual Property Office and her practice includes trademark applications and trademark disputes.
Prior to joining McLennan Ross, Samantha practiced for a number of years as General Counsel at a widely respected university. Previous to that position, Samantha practiced as Legal Counsel, Technology Commercialization for Alberta's largest university.
Samantha's practice now involves representing clients whose commercial interests include intellectual property licensing programs, enterprise software acquisition and infringement actions arising from copyright, trademark and patent assets. Samantha has successfully represented clients in domain name disputes and works with clients to identify brand management strategies.
•Acts for public and private clients in a wide range of commercial dealings.
•Advises on protection and commercialization of intellectual property including trademarks, copyright, trade secrets, and confidential business information.
•Developed collaborative research agreements and sponsored research agreements between private industry, academic faculty and post-secondary educational institutions.
•Acted for institutional clients in the acquisition and divestiture of commercial real estate.
•Drafted and negotiated facility license agreements with health care authorities, law enforcement agencies and other public authorities on behalf of institutional clients.
•Acted for both franchisors and franchisees in relation to franchise disclosure obligations and disputes.
•Drafted governance policies and procedures for institutional clients.
•Advised executive officers and board members on governance issues including procedural fairness, liability, risk management and effective communication.
• Practical Tax, Legal and Financial Advice for Established Dentists , Jasper Dental Congress: CDSPI Presentation, 2016
• Mobile Payments and Online Payment Standards: What You Need to Know Now , McLennan Ross, 2015
• Negotiating Cloud Arrangements: Moving Your I.T. Systems Off-Site , McLennan Ross, 2015
• Information Technology ( I.T. ) Contracting and Purchasing: Fundamentals of Getting Your Best Deal , McLennan Ross, 2015
• Canada's New Anti-Spam Law: A Major Change for Business Communications , McLennan Ross, 2014
• Using Social Media for Business Purposes , McLennan Ross, 2013
• Contracting & Procurement in Local Government , Local Government Administrators of the NWT Annual Professional Development Conference, 2012
• Streamlining the Enrollment Process through a Legal Lens: Legal Issues and the Duty to Accommodate in Admissions and Enrollment , Conference of American Association of Collegiate Registrars & Admissions Officers
• Duty to Accommodate: Complex Student Panel , Civil Campus 2010
• Educating and Supporting Students with Disabilities: Balancing Rights and Responsibilities , MacEwan Organizational Development Day
• Information on Fair Dealing , Risk Management in Canadian Education, 2013
• Intellectual Property Issues in Construction Agreements , McLennan Ross Legal Counsel Newsletter, 2013
• What's In A Name? , McLennan Ross Legal Counsel Newsletter, 2012
Professional Associations, Affiliations and Community Activities
•Member, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
•Co-Chair, Alberta Health Services Patient Family Advisory Group
•Public Member (Interim), Health Quality Council of Alberta Patient/Family Safety Advisory Panel