Stuart has extensive experience advising oilsands and other industrial operators in relation to environmental and health and safety law issues, in particular in preparation for and responding to regulatory investigations and prosecutions.
Stuart has a wide range of experience in commercial litigation matters, including contractual disputes, recovery of funds and class actions.
While Stuart has extensive experience in complex multiparty litigation, he is equally comfortable in finding efficient solutions for smaller disputes. He utilizes alternative dispute resolution methods including mediation and arbitration to resolve issues and has significant experience acting as both plaintiff and defendant counsel in class actions in Alberta and in British Columbia.
Stuart advises organizations on contract interpretation, drafting and policy issues and has advised government and administrative tribunals on policy and adjudicative matters.
Awards and Recognition:
•Environmental Law, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
• Time to Clean Up: Alberta’s Revamped Remediation Regulation , Sean Parker & Stuart Chambers, Assessing the Impact: Environmental and Resources Law Blog, 2019
• Youth at Large: Determining Curfews in the NWT , Stuart Chambers, McLennan Ross Legal Counsel Newsletter, Fall 2017
• Protect Your Organization in the Event of a Data Breach , Graham McLennan, Q.C. and Stuart Chambers, McLennan Ross Legal Counsel Newsletter, 2016
• McLennan Ross Environmental Release Reporting Series Part 3: What to Expect After You Report a Release , Stuart Chambers and Jessica Proudfoot, McLennan Ross Legal Counsel Newsletter
• McLennan Ross Environmental Release Reporting Series Part 2: Best Practices for Pre-Release Planning , Stuart Chambers and Jessica Proudfoot, McLennan Ross Legal Counsel Newsletter
• McLennan Ross Environmental Release Reporting Series Part 1: An Overview of Your Release Reporting Obligations , Stuart Chambers and Jessica Proudfoot, McLennan Ross Legal Counsel Newsletter
•“Court Sets Aside Policy Barring Objectors from Role in Oilsands Approval Process”, Stuart Chambers and Sean Parker, Canadian Bar Association Eco-Bulletin
•“Why No OHS Class Actions?”, Stuart Chambers, Canadian Bar Association Eco-Bulletin
• Fines and Fowl: The Trial of Syncrude , Stuart Chambers and Lisa Semenchuk, in Stanley Berger, ed, Key Developments in Environmental Law 2011 Edition (Toronto: Thomson Reuters Canada Limited-Canada Law Book, 2011)
• Judgement Overturned in Major Class Action , McLennan Ross Legal Counsel Newsletter
•“Health, Safety and Environment: The Key Differences Between Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety Investigations”, Stuart Chambers and Shilo Neveu, McLennan Ross HSE Newsletter
•“Supreme Court of Canada Restricts Federal Discretion in Environmental Assessments”, McLennan Ross Legal Counsel Newsletter
• “Proclaiming the Class Proceedings Amendment Act”, McLennan Ross E-Mail Alert
• Basics of Environmental Law”, Environmental Services Association of Alberta - Environment Business, 2017
•“Regulatory Session”, Environmental Services Association of Alberta - Water Technologies Symposium, Speaker (“An Overview of Legal Issues Related to Water in Alberta”) and Panel Moderator, 2016
• Cross-Canada Hot Topics Panel , Panel Moderator, Canadian Bar Association, National Environmental, Energy and Resources Law Section Annual Summit, 2016
• Basics of Environmental Law”, Environmental Services Association of Alberta - Environment Business, 2015
• Regional Approaches to Water , Webinar Moderator, Canadian Bar Association, National Environmental, Energy and Resources Law Section, 2014
• Regional Hot Topics , Panel Presenter, Canadian Bar Association, National Environmental, Energy and Resources Law Section, 2014
• Environmental Consultants’ Liability Risks , McLennan Ross Webinar, 2013
• A User’s Guide to Injunctions and Related Remedies , LESA Common Chambers Applications Seminar, 2012
•“Environmental Enforcement Trends in Alberta”, Canadian Bar Association, National Environmental, Energy and Resources Law Section, 2011
•“The Key Differences Between Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety Investigations”, (with Shilo Neveu), Alberta Construction Safety Association - National Construction Safety Officer Conference, 2011
•“Basics of Environmental Law”, Environmental Services Association of Alberta - Environment Business, 2011
•Counsel to a national accounting firm in connection with applications for production of file documents, and an application to permit examination of relevant accountants, in connection with ongoing litigation.
•Counsel to a national accounting firm in pursuing litigation related to unpaid invoices.
•Counsel to an accountant in a dispute with the accountant’s former firm involving appropriate compensation.
•Counsel to a pharmacist in connection with a professional disciplinary hearing.
•Counsel to a professional agrologist in responding to a complaint of non-professional conduct.
•Counsel to various individuals who have pursued litigation against their former lawyers in connection with the negligent provision of professional services.
•Formed part of the McLennan Ross teams that have advised national accounting firms in connection with various litigation, including class actions.
•Represented a resource development company regarding the purchase and shipment of a piece of a specialized piece of equipment that was delayed; issues in the litigation focused on allegations of potential liability of the equipment carriers (litigation was resolved prior to trial).
•Represented an individual in connection with a lawsuit alleging professional negligence against the individual’s former lawyer (the matter was resolved prior to trial).
•Acted as an “Independent Supervising Solicitor” in the enforcement of an “Anton Pillar Order” as part of a significant commercial litigation action involving allegations of misappropriation of proprietary information.
•Played a leading role on the defence counsel team in responding to an 11 million dollar class action lawsuit filed in relation to a missing laptop containing the personal and health information of approximately 620,000 Albertans. The lawsuit alleged that Medicentres failed to protect private information and was negligent in its actions. McLennan Ross was counsel to AbleIT, the employer of the IT consultant in possession of the missing laptop. This matter was resolved prior to trial.
•Played a primary role on the Plaintiff Class Counsel team pursuing a securities fraud class action on behalf of approximately 1,500 investors.
•Was a key member of the defence counsel team in a class actions suit against a major Canadian payday loan provider.
Environmental & Regulatory
Regulatory Investigations and Enforcement
•Played a key role in the defence teams on behalf of various oilsands operators responding to various provincial and federal investigations and prosecutions.
•Played a lead role in a client’s investigative team in responding to information surrounding a potential environmental release and, after investigating the potential release, formed part of the response team dealing with the regulator.
•Involved in the defence of an agricultural operator charged under the Water Act with using unallocated water. This matter was resolved prior to trial.
•Involved in the defences of individuals charged with environmental regulatory offenses in connection with alleged breaches of reporting and other obligations to the provincial regulators.
•Formed part of the defence team in responding to Environmental Appeal Board and subsequent Court of Queen’s Bench proceedings, in which other parties sought to bring our client into a regulator-ordered remediation of residential properties. The matter was successfully concluded.
Environmental Civil Litigation
•Acted for environmental engineering consultants in connection with various litigation alleging professional negligence arising from soil remediation assessment and reporting work.
•Acted in relation to a dispute arising from the calculation and reporting of greenhouse or “specified” gases under Alberta’s specified gas reporting and reduction legislation.
•Acted for a major pipeline operator in connection with litigation alleging personal injuries and property damage arising from a pipeline leak.
Other Environmental Issues
•Advised a consulting company on legal issues, contractual negotiations and collection efforts in relation to recycling and waste management programs.
•Member of McLennan Ross teams which have advised government regarding legal, constitutional and policy issues connected with environmental regulation and legislation.
Occupational Health & Safety
•Part of the defence team that represented a major oil sands and pipeline operator in connection with a serious workplace accident. The matter was resolved prior to trial by way of a joint plea bargain including the relevant co-accused.
•Part of the defence team in connection with the tragic death of a worker employed by a major oil sands operator.
•Part of the defence team that represented a concrete laying subcontractor in connection with the serious fall-related injury of a worker.
Professional Associations, Affiliations and Community Activities:
•Volunteer Member, Environmental Forum Committee, Alberta Chamber of Resources
•Committee Member, Alberta Emerald Foundation for Environmental Excellence
•Former Chair, Canadian Bar Association
•National Environmental, Energy and Resources Law Section
•Former Chair, Canadian Bar Association (Alberta Branch)
•Environmental Law Section - Northern
•Former Director, Environmental Services Association of Alberta
•Former Member, Edmonton Chamber of Commerce Energy & Environment Committee
•Former Director, Edmonton Humane Society
You should not send any sensitive or confidential information through this site. Emails sent through this site do not create an attorney-client relationship and may not be treated as privileged or confidential. The lawyer or law firm you are contacting is not required to, and may choose not to, accept you as a client. The Internet is not necessarily secure and emails sent though this site could be intercepted or read by third parties.