- 3.9/5.0 (2 reviews)
Practicing law in Virginia since 1996, Eric formed Perkins Law, PLLC in March 2009 after practicing with a downtown Richmond law firm for 12 years and almost a year as in-house corporate counsel for a local real estate company. Perkins Law’s mission is to fill the void between “Big Law” and the LegalZooms of the world.
Perkins Law is based in Henrico County and proudly serves the Virginia small business and nonprofit communities. With his unique combination of professional and pragmatic guidance, Eric is pleased to offer many services on a flat fee basis.
Watch the video to see what a few clients have to say about their experience working with Perkins Law.
- Business start-ups and formations
- Small business transactions, contracts, and compliance
- Regulation D private placements (including real estate syndications)
- Tax-Exempt/Nonprofit Organizations
Founding owner Eric C. Perkins has been practicing law in Virginia since 1996, advising entrepreneurs, business owners and executives, real estate sponsors and investors, nonprofit organizations, and professionals in the sports entertainment field.
Committed to providing efficient and professional service, Perkins Law is pleased to offer many of its services on a flat fee basis.
Why Choose Perkins Law, PLLC
Eric Perkins has been practicing business law since 1996. He has helped clients structure and form hundreds of business entities; drafted offering documents for over $1 billion in Regulation D private placements (including Section 1031/TIC and DST programs); analyzed and negotiated franchise documents from over 50 franchise systems; drafted disclosure documents and franchise agreements for new franchise systems; coordinated federal and state franchise compliance for franchisors; and helped organize and advise dozens of tax-exempt/nonprofit organizations. He founded Perkins Law, PLLC to limit his practice to what he knows best, enabling him to provide maximum value to clients.
Among his peers, Eric is well known for his efficiency, organizational skills, attention to detail, and pragmatism. These traits enable Eric to successfully navigate a business transaction in a professional manner. Efficient lawyering and effective communication lead to value-added service to clients. As a result, Perkins Law is proud to offer most of its legal services to clients on a flat fee basis, which is an emerging trend in the legal and business communities.
Perkins Law is committed to providing professional, personalized service at a reasonable price. Throughout his legal career, Eric Perkins has demonstrated a commitment to doing what is right for his clients. One can also look to Eric's many accomplishments outside of his legal practice-academic and leadership awards as a student, published writings in national publications, state and national titles and sportsmanship awards as a competitive tennis player, and leadership roles in charitable organizations-as illustrations of his integrity and commitment to hard work.
Community service is a priority for Perkins Law, PLLC. Eric Perkins is proud to devote hundreds of hours each year to volunteer work, and he has been recognized by the Virginia Bar Association on multiple occasions as a "Community Servant" for his commitment to community service. In 2010, he was named "Volunteer of the Year" by both the USTA/Mid-Atlantic Section and USTA/Virginia for his contributions to the tennis community, which included a leadership role in the City of Richmond's hugely successful campaign in the USTA's Best Tennis Town in America contest. Eric has mentored elementary school students as part of the Clark Springs Elementary School "Lunch Buddies" program. In 2003, he was recognized as USTA/Virginia's Committee Chair of the Year for his work as chair of the organization's Bylaws and Rules Committee. From 2004-2006, he served as President of the Richmond Tennis Association ("RTA"), one of the oldest community tennis associations in the nation, and he recently received his ten-year volunteer service award from the United States Tennis Association ("USTA"), the national governing body for tennis with over 725,000 members. Eric is a charter member of the Short Pump Rotary Club, and he is also an active member of Gayton Baptist Church. Other current community service activities include:
- USTA Tennis Rules and Regulations Committee (Chair)
- Richmond Tennis Association (President-Elect)
- Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation, Professional Boxing, Wrestling, and Mixed Martial Arts Advisory Board (Member)
- Virginia Franchise Forum (Advisory Board Member) Representative Transactions
- Drafted Franchise Disclosure Document, Franchise Agreement, and ancillary agreements for rollout of quick service restaurant franchise system; coordinated compliance with federal and state franchise disclosure and registration requirements.
- Assisted new franchisor with state franchise registration, exemption, and annual renewal issues. Advised privately held business on issues pertaining to joint venture structures and potential application of federal and state franchise laws.
- Advised prospective franchisee concerning master franchise agreement, entity formation, SBA financing, and lease negotiation issues.
- Advised franchisee on improving relations with franchisor, contract interpretation issues, and efficient dispute resolution strategies.
- Advised franchisor on SBA Registry issues.
- Represented real estate sponsor in structuring and drafting offering documents for multi-million dollar Delaware statutory trust offering under Rule 506 of Regulation D.
- Represented real estate sponsor in structuring and drafting offering documents for multi-million dollar tenant-in-common offering under Rule 506 of Regulation D.
- Advised real estate sponsor on Regulation D compliance issues concerning the prohibition on general solicitation and advertising and related issues concerning the company's Internet site.
- Coordinated federal and state blue sky compliance for Regulation D issuers.
- Represented tenant-in-common investor group in negotiating master lease amendment with real estate sponsor, master tenant, and senior lender.
- Represented new youth mentoring organization on entity formation issues, applying for IRS recognition of 501(c)(3) status, and general corporate governance and tax compliance issues.
- Advised university foundation on corporate restructuring, reclassification, and general tax compliance issues.
- Advised tax-exempt health care organization on corporate governance issues and new IRS Form 990 requirements.
- Negotiated multi-year agreement on behalf of a four-time WWE professional wrestling champion.
- Drafted acquisition agreements and coordinated corporate due diligence for business acquisitions involving family entertainment centers, restaurants, dental practices, and other professional, retail, and service businesses.
- Drafted shareholder or buy-sell agreements for professional veterinary practice, professional engineering firm, architectural firm, real estate company, financial services company, and others.
Specific Areas of Practice for our Glen Allen office:
5.0/5.0 Review for Eric Perkins on 03/13/10 in Business Law.
I recently sold a multi-unit Liberty Tax franchise in Richmond, Virginia in a complex seller-financed transaction involving multiple buyers and ownership structures. Eric's knowledge of franchise law and operations was absolutely invaluable in struct... Read more
I recently sold a multi-unit Liberty Tax franchise in Richmond, Virginia in a complex seller-financed transaction involving multiple buyers and ownership structures. Eric's knowledge of franchise law and operations was absolutely invaluable in structuring the purchase agreement, the promissory note and supporting documents while adequately protecting my interests and future cash flow. The sale was on a very aggressive timetable because I was moving out of the state and Eric made it happen. Read lessRead less