- CMS Posts Final Stark Rules for Physician Self-Referrals
- August 19, 2008
- Law Firm: Krieg DeVault LLP - Indianapolis Office
Included in its July 31, 2008 posting of changes to the Inpatient Prospective Payment Systems ("IPPS") 2009 rates, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services ("CMS") finalized many long-proposed revisions to the Stark Law. These finalized proposals include:
- "Stand in the Shoes" Provisions
- Percentage-Based Compensation Formulae
- Unit of Service (Per Click) Payments in Lease Arrangements
- Services provided "Under Arrangements"
CMS is allowing providers time to effectuate changes in their investment, compensation, and referral relationships by delaying the implementation of many of the revised regulations until October 1, 2009.
Also posted on July 31st were the 2009 rates for the Skilled Nursing Facility Prospective Payment System, the Inpatient Rehabilitation Facility Prospective Payment System, and the Hospice Wage Index. These final rules are effective October 1, 2008.
The CMS posting of the IPPS changes may be accessed at the following address: http://www.cms.hhs.gov/AcuteInpatientPPS/downloads/CMS-1390-F.pdf.