Kenneth W. McAllister was born in High Point, North Carolina. He graduated Phi Beta Kappa from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where he was a Morehead Scholar. He received his law degree from Duke University and serves as a Life Member of the Board of Visitors of the Duke Law School. He was admitted to the North Carolina Bar in 1974. He was admitted to practice before the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals and the U.S. Supreme Court in 1980.
He served as the United States Attorney for the Middle District of North Carolina from 1981-1986 upon the appointment of President Ronald Reagan. Mr. McAllister joined Wachovia Corporation in 1988 as General Counsel and served in that position until 2001. While at Wachovia, he became an Executive Vice President and head of the Administrative Division in 1994. He was elected Senior Executive Vice President in 1997 and served until his retirement from Wachovia in 2001.
He is a Permanent Member of the Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference and was selected as a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation. In January 2002 and again in January 2003 he was listed in Business North Carolina magazine as one of the “Legal Elite” in North Carolina in the area of Corporate Counsel.
Mr. McAllister serves on the Board of Directors of Culp, Inc., High Point Bank Corporation, and Lawyers’ Mutual Liability Insurance Company of North Carolina. He practices in the areas of business and civil litigation, business and corporate law, personal injury, white collar criminal law, estate planning, estate administration, mediation, and general litigation.
Civic and Community Activities
• Trustee, High Point Regional Hospital, UNC Health Care (2016- )
• Former Director, Piedmont Triad Airport Authority, 1998-2002
• Former Chairman of the Board of Trustees, The Presbyterian Home of High Point
• Former Director, Arts and Science Foundation of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
• Former Director, School of Nursing Foundation, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
• Former member Board of Governors, Presbyterian Homes, Inc.
• Former Director, High Point Community Health Fund, Inc.
• Former Director, United Way of Greater High Point, Campaign Chairman – 2006-2007
• Former Member and President, Piedmont Business and Estate Planning Counsel
• Former President, String & Splinter Club, Inc.
• Former Director, High Point Regional Health Foundation
• Former Chair, High Point Township Republican Party, 1976 and 1986
• High Point Bank Corporation – Director – 2003-2016
• Culp, Inc. – Lead Outside Director – 2003-
• Lawyers Mutual Liability Insurance Company of NC – Director (2003) and Chairman of the Board (2012-2015)
• United States Attorney, Middle District of North Carolina 1981-1986
• Attorney General’s Advisory Committee of U.S. Attorneys, 1983-1986: Vice Chairman 1986
• NCDRC Certified Superior Court Mediator
• Board of Governors, North Carolina Bar Association, 2000-2003
• Board of Visitors, Duke University School of Law (1996- )
• Board of Visitors, Wake Forest University School of Law, 1989-1996
• Board of Visitors, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 1989-1993
• Governor’s Commission on Business Laws and the Economy 1994-2000
• Member, Board of Advisors, UNC School of Law Banking Institute, 1998-2002
• Director, Southeastern Banking Law Institute, 1989-1995
• High Point Bar Association, President, 2006-2007
• Eighteenth Judicial District Bar Association, President, 2007-2008
• Emeritus Member, Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference
• Fellow, American Bar Foundation
• Former Director, North Carolina Chapter of the American Corporate Counsel Assoc.
• National Association of Former United States Attorneys
• 2010 Centennial Award – North Carolina and High Point Bar Associations
• Legal Elite in Corporate Law, Business in North Carolina