Jeff Blackwell focuses his law practice on cases involving severe personal injuries, substantial damages and wrongful death. He works exclusively for the victims of personal injury and their families.
Jeff is a proven trial lawyer. He fights hard for his clients. He began his career in 1995 at a prominent Birmingham law firm where he handled serious injury cases throughout the State of Alabama. Within the first three years of practice, Jeff orally argued a case before the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals, successfully defended a large healthcare corporation from serious fraud allegations with a team at trial and obtained a large recovery for consumers in a statewide class action.
In 1998, Jeff made the move home to North Alabama. He wanted to focus exclusively on representing Plaintiffs in cases of significant injury or damage. At the Huntsville firm where he practiced as a partner for the next 17 years, Jeff successfully tried cases to verdict in multiple Alabama counties. He also successfully represented clients before the Alabama Supreme Court and Alabama Court of Civil Appeals on many occasions. He has helped injury victims in both Alabama and Federal Courts.
When a longtime law partner retired in 2015, Jeff opened his own law firm. His law practice is built around a process involving legal scholarship, case preparation and strong client advocacy. This process is the foundation of the Blackwell Law Firm.
Jeff was born in Decatur. He graduated high school in Athens. He lives with his wife Sharon and three children in Huntsville. Jeff and his family are members of Central Presbyterian Church where he has served as a Deacon. With his children, he has volunteered to coach basketball, help the Huntsville High Marching Band, and sponsor the fall festival at the Academy for Arts and Academics.
Rising Star 2010, limited to top 2.5% of attorneys age 40 or younger
SuperLawyers 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 limited to top 5% of attorneys in each state
Martindale-Hubbell’s Preeminent AV Rating
Highest Attorney Rating
Life Member Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Membership limited to attorneys who have won million and multi-million dollar verdicts
Avvo Rating 10 out of 10
Highest Attorney Rating
Trial Attorney / Founder - Blackwell Law Firm, LLC
Trial Attorney / Partner - Hornsby, Watson, Hornsby & Blackwell
Trial Attorney / Associate - Hardin & Hawkins
Law Clerk - Hardin & Hawkins
Law Clerk - Professor Gerald Gibbons, University of Alabama School of Law
Publications and Presentations
Jeff believes strongly in legal education. He maintains two legal blogs where he publishes legal articles and commentary. They are:
• The Alabama Litigation Review
• The Alabama Injury Lawyer Blog
In addition to his blogs, Jeff regularly teaches legal seminars on topics related to personal injury in Alabama. The following are a few of the seminar presentations and papers he has authored:
• Alabama Workers' Compensation Trial Strategy, The Future of Workers' Compensation by The Alabama Association for Justice, October 6, 2017
• Presenting Damages and Expert Testimony at Trial, National Business Institute, 2012
• Evolving Issues and Practices in Workers’ Compensation Cases, Cumberland School of Law CLE, 2012
• Bench Trial Tips, National Business Institute, 2011
• Summary Judgment Hearings, National Business Institute, 2011
• Discovery Conferences, National Business Institute, 2011
• Personal Injury 101 – Legislative, Case Law, and Regulatory Trends and Developments, National Business Institute, 2010
• Served as Moderator for a Panel Discussion by Circuit Court Judges, What Civil Judges Want You To Know, 2009
Professional & Bar Association Memberships
Alabama State Bar
Member Since: 1995
Huntsville-Madison County Bar Association
Served on Nominating Committee, Law Library Committee
Alabama Association for Justice
Alabama Civil Justice Foundation
American Association for Justice