• New Visit Pass Offers Longer Residence, Eased Employment Authorization for Foreign Spouses of Singapore Citizens
  • March 15, 2012
  • Law Firm: Fragomen Del Rey Bernsen Loewy LLP - New York Office
  • A new Long Term Visit Pass Plus (LTVP+) provides a longer residence period, streamlined employment authorization and access to healthcare benefits to the qualifying foreign spouses of Singapore citizens. The new pass will be available beginning April 1.

    A foreign national who is the spouse of a Singaporean citizen and who has at least one Singaporean child from the marriage will automatically qualify for an LTVP+. If the couple has no Singaporean child but has been married for at least three years, the foreign spouse may obtain an LTVP+ at the discretion of the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA). ICA will consider the Singaporean spouse’s ability to financially support the family and the good conduct of both spouses.

    Foreign spouses will be automatically considered for a LTVP+ when they apply for a conventional Long Term Visit Pass after entering Singapore. Those who currently hold a Long Term Visit Pass will be considered for an LTVP+ upon their next renewal, but may apply earlier. LTVP+ applications will generally be processed in six weeks.

    Once granted, a LTVP+ will be valid for three years initially and can be renewed in increments of up to five years.The standard Long Term Visit Pass is issued in one-year increments.

    LTVP+ holders will not require an Employment Pass or Work Permit to take up employment. Rather, they will apply for a special work approval called a Letter of Consent, valid up to the full period of their visit pass. There is no fee for the letter. LTVP+ holders will not count towards an employer’s foreign worker quota and are not subject to foreign worker levies.

    LTVP+ holders will be eligible to receive healthcare subsidies for inpatient services in government hospitals.

    The LTVP+ program will not impact foreign spouses’ eligibility to apply for Singapore citizenship or permanent residency.