• Dependents Now Require Student Passes to Attend School
  • June 26, 2013
  • Law Firm: Fragomen Del Rey Bernsen Loewy LLP - New York Office
  • All foreign nationals, including dependent children of foreign workers, seeking to attend an educational or training institution in Kenya must hold a student pass, effective immediately. The Kenyan Immigration Department has clarified that it is now strictly enforcing existing student pass regulations. Previously, the Department allowed dependent pass holders to attend school incident to their status.

    Foreign residents in Kenya with children currently attending school based on their dependent passes should apply for student passes on their children’s behalf as soon as possible. Dependents are able to change to student status from within Kenya without having to travel abroad and reenter. The Immigration Department has not provided a transition timeline for the policy change, and all educational institutions in Kenya have been told to accept only student pass holders as students or face sanctions.

    Foreign nationals with school-aged children traveling to Kenya for work will now have to apply separately for student passes on their children’s behalf from abroad. Student pass applications can be submitted alongside a principal’s work authorization application, and applicants can request they be adjudicated contemporaneously. Student pass holders must travel to Kenya within 30 days of their pass’s issuance and must begin school within 30 days of entry.

    Like dependent passes, student passes grant their holders permission to enter and reside in Kenya and to travel abroad and reenter during their validity. Student passes, however, expire if the holder leaves his or her educational or training institution. Student pass holders must also apply for a new pass if they change schools.