• Immigration Agency Simplifies International Travel Authorization for Minors
  • December 9, 2013
  • Law Firm: Fragomen Del Rey Bernsen Loewy LLP - New York Office
  • The Mexican immigration authority announced that minors traveling outside of Mexico without their parents or legal guardians will soon be able to present a standardized, simplified form upon exiting the country. The form is not yet available, but the National Immigration Institute (INM) is expected to release it soon.

    All individuals under 18, whether Mexican or foreign nationals, require authorization to travel outside of Mexico without both parents or legal guardians.

    Previously, parents or legal guardians were required to grant consent for each international trip by signing a document, which was subsequently notarized and presented to immigration officers when the minor exited the country. Parents living abroad were required to legalize the document for use in Mexico — a lengthy process in some countries.