• Overseas Non-EEA Nationals Staying Over Six Months Will Require Biometric Residence Permit
  • April 9, 2015
  • Law Firm: Fragomen Del Rey Bernsen Loewy LLP - New York Office
  • Overseas non-EEA nationals intending to stay in the UK for over six months must apply for a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), which can be used as evidence of work authorization, according to a new regulation. This initiative is expected to be rolled out in country-by-country phases over a four-month period starting March 2015.

    This regulation will make the UK fully compliant with the EU rule that requires Member States to issue a standard residence permit which can act as sole evidence of lawful stay, and where available, permission to work, for non-EEA nationals on stays over six months.

    BRP Collection Process

    The visa application process and associated fees will not change, except that non-EEA nationals will receive a travel visa valid for 30 days from the applicant’s expected date of travel. Successful applicants will receive a letter stating that they must collect their BRP at a designated UK post office within ten days of arrival.

    Travelers can use their 30-day travel visa for multiple entries until it has expired, but they will need to obtain another travel visa if they need to return to the UK past its expiration. The same visa can be used to evidence work authorization if it is issued before the BRP.

    The Home Office intends to eventually have non-EEA nationals use the BRP as their principal work authorization document.

    What This Means for Foreign Nationals

    Overseas Non-EU nationals planning to stay in the UK for over six months should arrange to travel to the UK and collect their BRP within ten days of arrival.

    Further updates to the new policy will be provided once they become available.