• Highly Skilled Residence Permit to Require Lengthy Equivalency Process
  • May 28, 2015
  • Law Firm: Fragomen Del Rey Bernsen Loewy LLP - New York Office
  • Starting June 13, foreign nationals applying for the Highly Skilled Residence Permit must submit a university diploma validated by the University of Panama (Universidad de Panamá), the Technological University (Universidad Tecnológica) or by the corresponding professional council. This applies to graduate and post-graduate degrees. The equivalency, which is not currently required, can take up to six months. In some cases, the university may require the applicant to take additional courses to complete the equivalency.

    The diploma and transcripts will need to be legalized abroad for use in Panama and translated into Spanish by a certified translator in Panama.

    What This Means for Foreign Nationals

    Foreign nationals should account for the extra document gathering time that this equivalency requirement adds and may need to consult with their immigration professional about applying under another work and residence category to avoid the lengthy process. Fragomen can assist with the validation, legalization and translation process.