- Deadline for Public Response to Advisory Committee’s Consultation Document is September 25
- September 17, 2015
- Law Firm: Fragomen Del Rey Bernsen Loewy LLP - New York Office
- The deadline for public responses to the Migration Advisory Committee (MAC) consultation document seeking advice regarding reducing Tier 2 migration and reliance on migrants to fill local employment shortages is September 25, 2015.
The MAC has been asked to fundamentally review how Tier 2 works in all sectors, including the following issues:
- Restricting Tier 2 (General) recruitment to genuine skills shortages and highly-specialized experts only;
- Whether criteria such as salaries, points for particular attributes, economic need and skills level should be used to define those skills shortages;
- Whether the above criteria could be applied to intracompany transferees;
- Whether the above criteria should capture those switching from student visas to Tier 2;
- Limiting the amount of time an occupation can remain on the shortage occupation list;
- The impact of preventing Tier 2 dependent visa holders from working in the UK;
- A skills tax for employers recruiting non-EU workers under the Tier 2 category, and possibly other categories; and
- Whether to extend the immigration health tax to intracompany transferees.
The MAC’s report to the Home Secretary is likely to be published in December 2015 or early in 2016. New immigration rules are likely to take effect in April 2016.
What This Means for Employers and Foreign Nationals
Employers are urged to respond to the consultation individually.