- Employers Seeking Work Passes Subject to New Online Verification System
- July 1, 2016
- Law Firm: Fragomen Del Rey Bernsen Loewy LLP - New York Office
- On or after July 5, 2016, employers seeking to perform work pass-related transactions, including submission of Employment Pass and S Pass applications, on the Employment Pass Online (EPOL) and Work Permit Online (WPOL) systems will be required to use a new online verification process called SingPass 2-Step Verification. The new process is meant to secure personal information online. Employers who fail to register for the system on time will likely face work pass processing delays since their online access will be blocked.
Currently, employers can log in to the online work pass systems with their SingPass account.
How the New Verification Process Works
National Registration Identity Card (NRIC) holders may register by following the below steps:
- Log in to the employer’s SingPass account and select “Set Up 2-Step Verification (2FA)” under the Quick Links section;
- Follow the online instructions and choose either to receive One-Time Passwords (OTPs) via phone text message, or generate OTPs through a OneKey token;
- Upon successful registration, a code will be mailed to the employer with the OneKey token (if applicable) within five to seven business days;
- The employer should then activate their phone number or token by logging into Assurity's website using their code, or if they have verified their Singapore-registered mobile number with SingPass, they can text “Register” to 78008 (if they are in Singapore) or to +65 82411666 (if they are overseas).
On or after July 5, registered users will need to process Employment Pass and S Pass applications as well as other government transactions involving sensitive data under the new system.
What This Means for Employers and Foreign Nationals
Employers and foreign nationals should update their SingPass accounts early to avail of the new system. Employers who require assistance with the update process should contact their immigration professional.