• A Recap of Streamlined Visa on Arrival and Work Authorization Application Rules
  • October 3, 2016
  • Law Firm: Fragomen Del Rey Bernsen Loewy LLP - New York Office
  • Immigration policies implemented over the past year in Shanghai, Beijing, and Guangdong Province have made it easier for foreign nationals to obtain work authorization and have simplified various application procedures. The below summaries highlight the most important changes from these policies.

    On-Arrival or In-Country Applications for Z (Work) Visa

    Eligible foreign nationals who are entering to work in Shanghai, Beijing and Guangdong Province are exempt from Z visa Invitation Letter, Z visa and entry visa requirements prior to arrival. Instead, after obtaining an Alien Employment License or Foreign Expert Employment License, they can travel to China and obtain a Z visa or a valid entry visa at the port of entry.

    Simplified Work Authorization Applications for Foreign Nationals

    After obtaining an Alien Employment License or Foreign Expert Employment License and a valid entry visa, foreign nationals can apply for a work-type Residence Permit before obtaining the Work Permit or Expert Certificate. This will allow them to travel outside the country even while their Work Permit application is pending. While the application is pending, they are not allowed to work but can conduct business activities until their Work Permit is issued.

    What This Means for Employers and Foreign Nationals

    Foreign employees have benefited from the relaxed eligibility criteria for work authorization in Shanghai, Beijing and Guangdong Province.

    Fragomen immigration professionals are available to discuss related application procedures.

    This alert is for informational purposes only. If you have any questions, please contact the global immigration professional with whom you work at Fragomen or send an email to [email protected]