- Parent and Grandparent Sponsorship Program Details Released
- January 27, 2017
- Law Firm: Fragomen Del Rey Bernsen Loewy LLP - New York Office
- Following the announcement that the Parent and Grandparent Sponsorship program is now subject to a lottery system, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has released related application guidelines.
Effective immediately, citizens and permanent residents of Canada who seek to sponsor parents or grandparents under their visa must follow the below steps:
- Complete a form on the IRCC website by February 2, 2017. The completed form will produce a confirmation number.
- On February 3, 2017, IRCC will review each form and will randomly select 10,000 numbered entries.
- IRCC will contact lottery winners by email with an invitation to apply for sponsorship.
- Applicants will have 90 days from the date of contact to submit a complete application.
What This Means for Employers and Citizens and Permanent Residents
Citizens and permanent residents of Canada applying for visas for their parents and grandparents should contact their immigration professional for assistance with online form completion and for application submission assistance if they are invited to apply through the lottery.
This alert is for informational purposes only.