• Additional Documentary Requirement for Change of Employer Applications to Prolong Application Processing
  • May 11, 2017
  • Law Firm: Fragomen Del Rey Bernsen Loewy LLP - New York Office
  • Under the Unified Work Authorization policy being implemented in China, foreign workers who seek to change employers in Shanghai are now required to submit additional documents such as legalized diplomas with their applications, which will significantly prolong the processing time for this application.

    Previously, a legalized diploma was not required for an employee to change entities in China.

    Beijing, Guangzhou and Shenzhen are not requiring additional documents yet. However, these and other cities in China are expected to start implementing the new requirement in the near future. Some Chinese cities may require an original diploma for a change of employer application.

    Legalization Requirements

    The diploma must be legalized in the country in which it was issued. Government processing times and legalization requirements vary in each country of origin, but can take as long as one to two months.

    What This Means for Employers and Foreign Nationals

    Employers who seeking to initiate an entity amendment application should notify their immigration professional at least three months before the employee’s start date to commence the diploma legalization process.