• Migratory Procedures: Temporary Residence
  • April 23, 2012 | Author: Eugenia Sofía Valdez Tamayo
  • Law Firm: Benjamín Valdez & Asociados Abogados y Notarios - La Libertad Office
  • Most international companies that operate in El Salvador are often in need of bringing foreign employees to provide services for the company, as well as many national businesses that due to the professional skills that can be found abroad hire foreign employees to fulfill specialized tasks.

    Because of this, in order to control and protect the working force in the country, there are several migratory procedures that have to be done by anyone interested in bringing foreign employees. The foreign status in the country may be determined by several factors, either by the work they are planning to fulfill or the type of activity that has to be carried out.

    For this, there are five categories of temporary residence under which you can apply:

    • Temporary Residence with permission to study
    • Temporary residence to accompany relatives living in the country
    • Temporary Residence for non-workers who receive money from relatives abroad
    • Temporary Residence for Investors and
    • Temporary Residence with authorization to work.

    Temporary Residence with authorization to work

    Applies to non-Central Americans and Panamanians who are requesting permission to work within El Salvador’s territory. This permit may be requested by the employer, either the company or entity operating in the country or the company or entity operating abroad who wishes to send the employee to perform a specific task or function. The employer who applies for this kind of Residence for one of their employees may be: a foreign corporation (including associations and nonprofit foundations) or individuals

    Temporary Residence for investors

    The procedure to apply for a Temporary Residence for investors is directed to individuals or legal representatives of foreign companies who invest in the country. The investment must be made from assets, tangible or intangible resources, or services exceeding four thousand times the minimum wage prevailing at the time of the transfer to the country.

    Temporary residence process to accompany relatives living in the country

    The temporary residence process to accompany relatives living in the country applies to life partners, children under the age of 18 and other relatives within the fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity. This quality is given to people entering the country as companions to temporary or permanent residents and Salvadorians. Such residence is granted without work authorization.

    Temporary Residence for non-workers who receive money from abroad

    The Temporary Residence for non-workers who receive money from abroad applies to all foreigners who enter the country with the intention of staying within the territory and receives income generated abroad for their living. This kind of Residence does not allow the person to engage in any kind of paid work in the Republic of El Salvador. The applicant must prove that he perceives permanent income not lower than a thousand dollars a month. If the person applying comes with his family (spouse and children), the monthly income must not be lower than fifteen hundred dollars.

    Temporary residence permit to study

    It is granted to Central Americans, Panamanian or non Central Americans over the age of 18 who wish to study at higher education institutions or other nonprofit academic activities in the country.

    In case of an applicant under the age of 18, the application must be submitted by both parents or his legal guardian

    The temporary residence allows you to live in the country and carry out specific activities under the Migration Department’s authorization, without this authorization, it would be illegal to stay in the country. It is necessary that any foreign person who, because of their job or other circumstances, has to remain in the country must carry out the formalities of the Residence according to their situation.